Weird caching behavior?

Andrea L. Williams

My development system and the production system run the same basic pages, as
you would guess. After I browse the production site and then switch to my
development site, using IE 6.0, for some reason the javascript for my menu
still thinks I'm on the production site and any menu items that I press go
to the production site instead of development.

In case you are thinking that it's a browser caching issue, I just tested
with Netscape and get the same results.

There is one thing that seems to correct the problem, and that is to put my
system into debug mode and back out again. But as soon as I go back to the
production server, then back to my dev server in the browser, same problem.
All menu links go back to production from the dev home page. Then I have to
put it back into debug and out again, then the link go back to the correct
server.

Has anyone else had this problem? I hope I'm explaining this well enough...

Andrea

Andrea L. Williams

A little more info here:

All pages have two the 'no-cache' and 'expires' meta tags.

The site name for the javascript is supposed to get set in the BaseCommon
class of the site which come from the Web.Config file.

My dev system is Win2K and has been updated by MS Update. I can't remember
having this problem when I was on the Win2003 Server. (I had other problems
though and went back to Win2K).

Andrea

Joerg Jooss

Andrea said:
A little more info here:

All pages have two the 'no-cache' and 'expires' meta tags.

The site name for the javascript is supposed to get set in the
BaseCommon class of the site which come from the Web.Config file.

My dev system is Win2K and has been updated by MS Update. I can't
remember having this problem when I was on the Win2003 Server. (I
had other problems though and went back to Win2K).

META tags are all but useless to prevent caching. You must use proper
HTTP constructs such as Cache-Control headers. You can control them
using the System.Web.HttpCachePolicy class.

Cheers,