Weird "defined in multiple places" error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by Staffan Eketorp, Apr 23, 2005.

  1. Ok...I get the "classical" error:

    CS1595: '_ASP.A_ascx' is defined in multiple places; using definition from
    'c:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\Temporary ASP.NET
    Files\root\2b5cf18c\86b61b77\isblapsv.dll'

    Ok...but what renders this error?

    <%@ Register TagPrefix=Hello TagName=A Src=A.ascx %>
    <%@ Register TagPrefix=Hello TagName=B Src=../BDir/B.ascx %>
    <Hello:B runat=server />
    <Hello:A runat=server />

    Remove line 1 and 4 - works fine! Remove line 2 and 3 - works fine! Run on
    another computer - works fine. Any rights issues? ...you know the /nostdlib
    compiler option - nope! How about a iis reset, remove all temporary ASP.NET
    files, rebooting the whole goddamn (sense no agression whatsoever) computer?
    Nope! "Final" workaround for me: Create a copy of A.ascx: A2.ascx, and
    change the source attribute for the registering of Hello:A to A2.ascx.

    Why???????

    Staffan Eketorp, Apr 23, 2005

  2. On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 13:24:04 -0700 in
    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols, Staffan Eketorp
    <> wrote:

    >Remove line 1 and 4 - works fine! Remove line 2 and 3 - works fine! Run on
    >another computer - works fine. Any rights issues? ...you know the /nostdlib
    >compiler option - nope! How about a iis reset, remove all temporary ASP.NET
    >files, rebooting the whole goddamn (sense no agression whatsoever) computer?
    >Nope! "Final" workaround for me: Create a copy of A.ascx: A2.ascx, and
    >change the source attribute for the registering of Hello:A to A2.ascx.
    >
    >Why???????

    I've had the same problem -- very frustrating. One thing I do that
    seems to work is to open each .ascx file, make a minor change (such as
    adding a space then deleting it), then re-save each file and do a
    "Build Page". This seems to flush all temporary files and 9 times out
    of 10, the error disappears.

    Hope this works for you
    Roger

    P.S. I've been using beta 2 for a few days now, and so far the
    "defined in multiple places" error hasn't occurred.

    Roger Helliwell, Apr 25, 2005

  3. Thanks for the reply. I suspect I'll have to go for Beta 2 then =). Seriously
    this crap is just happening on our production server, i.e. not on any test
    machine of mine, which somewhat limits my ability to play around. I've tried
    to change the file slightly to force a recompile (and a file flush) without
    luck, but I can't really do some "Build Page" thing. I HAVE made minor
    changes to the codebehind files and put a replacement dll in the /bin folder
    - also without any luck.

    Staffan Eketorp, Apr 25, 2005