What are the enigmatic "offset" numbers in SOAP exception stack traces?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Jim.Pollard@Blackbaud.com, Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Guest

    Hey, all -

    I have the dim impression that I'm missing out on some information that
    ASP.Net is trying to give me -

    I'm getting a SOAP exception on invocation of a method on one of my web
    services.

    It helpfully provides a "stack trace", as follows:
    [SoapException: This session has either not Authenticated or the
    session has expired.]

    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
    message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean
    asyncCall) +1496
    methodName, Object[] parameters) +218
    ..
    ..
    ..
    ....and so forth. Of course, my main clue is the "session not
    authenticated" line, but my curiosity is piqued by the numbers (+1496,
    +218). What are those? In this context, I'd expect them to be some
    sort of offset from an entry point. But they're not line numbers.
    Further down in the above stack trace, it references the actual methods
    I'm trying to invoke in my web service. I went to the trouble of
    pulling my dll up in ILDASM, to see if I could relate the numbers given
    as some sort of byte offset from the method entry point in the IL. But
    that's not right, either. So, I throw it to the room - can anybody
    help me make sense of these numbers?

    thanks in advance...

    , Nov 23, 2005