WSE 2.0 SP3 DIME client error: Response is not well-formed XML. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root e

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Rich Fowler, Sep 9, 2009.

  1. Rich Fowler

    Rich Fowler Guest

    Environment:
    Windows forms web services client tested on Vista Ultimate x64 and Windows
    XP (Virtual PC)
    WSE 2.0 SP 3 using DIME attachments

    I get the error below when trying to receive an attachment in a response
    that causes the response to exceed 10 megabytes (approximate). I do not have
    control of the web service server. It is an interface with the IRS MeF
    (Modern eFile) System. I am able to successfully receive messages in the 9.5
    mb range but when the message exceeds 10 mb, I receive the error. Based on
    timing tests that I performed, it looks like the entire response is being
    received but the process errors before completing the processing of the
    response. The trace of the web service does not record the response in the
    trace file. There are no problems with the XML with smaller (less than 10mb)
    kb.

    I have the following WSE 2.0 configuration parameters:

    <messaging>
    <executionTimeout value="600"/>
    <maxRequestLength>-1</maxRequestLength>
    </messaging>

    The response takes less than two minutes for the successful 9.5 mb response.
    The error occurs in less than two minutes for a 10.5 mb attachment. The
    error occurs at around two minutes fifty seconds for an 18 mb attachment.

    Thanks - Rich F.

    Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: Response is not well-formed
    XML. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowWithoutLineInfo(String res)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseDocumentContent()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read()
    at Microsoft.Web.Services2.Xml.XmlSkipDTDReader.Read()
    at System.Xml.XmlLoader.Load(XmlDocument doc, XmlReader reader, Boolean
    preserveWhitespace)
    at System.Xml.XmlDocument.Load(XmlReader reader)
    at Microsoft.Web.Services2.SoapEnvelope.Load(Stream stream)
    at
    Microsoft.Web.Services2.Messaging.SoapDimeFormatter.Microsoft.Web.Services2.Messaging.ISoapFormatter.Deserialize(Stream
    stream)
    at Microsoft.Web.Services2.InputStream.GetRawContent()
    at Microsoft.Web.Services2.InputStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset,
    Int32 count)
    at System.IO.StreamReader.ReadBuffer(Char[] userBuffer, Int32 userOffset,
    Int32 desiredChars, Boolean& readToUserBuffer)
    at System.IO.StreamReader.Read(Char[] buffer, Int32 index, Int32 count)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ReadData()
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.InitTextReaderInput(String baseUriStr,
    TextReader input)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl..ctor(String url, TextReader input,
    XmlNameTable nt)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl..ctor(TextReader input)
    at System.Xml.XmlTextReader..ctor(TextReader input)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.GetReaderForMessage(SoapClientMessage
    message, Int32 bufferSize)
    at
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage
    message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String
    methodName, Object[] parameters)
    at
    IRSProxiesSA.StateService.GetSubmissionsClass.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestType
    GetSubmissionsRequestArgs) in
    D:\Form990Development\Form990Software\IRSProxiesSA\StateService.cs:line 76
    at IRSWebSupportSA.State.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestType
    Request) in
    D:\Form990Development\Form990Software\IRSWebSupportSA\State.cs:line 196
    Rich Fowler, Sep 9, 2009

  2. Rich Fowler

    Kenneth Guest

    Resolved?

    Hello. I realize it's been a few months for this post, but did you happen to find a resolution? I am having the same issue.

    Thanks!

    Rich Fowler wrote:

    WSE 2.0 SP3 DIME client error: Response is not well-formed XML. ---> System.Xml.XmlException: Root element is missing.
    09-Sep-09

[...]

    message, Int32 bufferSize
    System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessag
    message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(Strin
    methodName, Object[] parameters
    --- End of inner exception stack trace --
    at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(Strin
    methodName, Object[] parameters
    IRSProxiesSA.StateService.GetSubmissionsClass.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestTyp
    GetSubmissionsRequestArgs) i
    D:\Form990Development\Form990Software\IRSProxiesSA\StateService.cs:line 7
    at IRSWebSupportSA.State.GetSubmissions(GetSubmissionsRequestTyp
    Request) i
    D:\Form990Development\Form990Software\IRSWebSupportSA\State.cs:line 196

    ASP.NET SqlCacheDependency Redux
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...8f-e2916fa4a619/aspnet-sqlcachedependenc.aspx
    Kenneth, Jan 22, 2010

  3. Rich Fowler

    Rich Fowler Guest

    Not Resolved

    I have not. If you wish to discuss this offline, you can get my email address from Xan.

    Kenneth wrote:

    Resolved?
    22-Jan-10

    Hello. I realize it's been a few months for this post, but did you happen to find a resolution? I am having the same issue.

    Thanks!

    Performance Testing .NET Web Apps [MSPRESS]
    http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...4af-00387a2f471e/performance-testing-net.aspx
    Rich Fowler, Jan 22, 2010