What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

Discussion in 'Java' started by zelzel.zsu@gmail.com, Nov 9, 2005.

  1. Guest

    What do you use java for ?
    AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    Java was famous during the past 10 years.
    And there are many java programmers in the world.

    I am not an serious java programmer,
    I've only read a few chapter of a java tutorial book.
    Like other programming book , the chapters wer trivial
    and uninteresting. They show some simple examples.

    but in real world, Java programmer were certainly not writing
    codes like that.

    So i was wondering: What are people using java for?
    And does java makes you happy when
    you are writing programms in the java way?

    Do you really like java?
    Do you feel that the huge java library is making your life easier?

    Is there any people who switch from java to other languages, eg.
    Python, ruby?

    thanks.

    , Nov 9, 2005

  2. schreef:
    > What do you use java for ?
    > AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    I think an almost identical question is posted before in this
    newsgroup, and probably many times before then too.

    Gerbrand van Dieijen, Nov 9, 2005

  3. Roedy Green Guest

    On 9 Nov 2005 07:34:48 -0800, ""
    said :

    >Do you really like java?

    I like Java because it is multiplatform. But it is not actually the
    ability to run code everywhere that makes me like Java. The
    multiplatformness gets rid of so much quirkiness.

    Java is like sensible shoes for women. It is a little on the plain
    side, but every dodad is there for a practical reason.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 9, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > So i was wondering: What are people using java for?

    We actually sell a high end reporting solution that crunches gigabytes of
    log data built in Java.

    > And does java makes you happy when
    > you are writing programms in the java way?

    Well, yes.

    > Is there any people who switch from java to other languages, eg.
    > Python, ruby?

    Certainly - this happens all the time.

    Regards

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Nov 9, 2005
  5. On 2005-11-09, Roedy Green penned:
    > On 9 Nov 2005 07:34:48 -0800, ""
    ><> wrote, quoted or indirectly quoted someone who
    >said :
    >
    >>Do you really like java?

    > I like Java because it is multiplatform. But it is not actually the
    > ability to run code everywhere that makes me like Java. The
    > multiplatformness gets rid of so much quirkiness.
    >
    > Java is like sensible shoes for women. It is a little on the plain
    > side, but every dodad is there for a practical reason.

    And it doesn't give you bunions or cause your ankle tendons to shrink!

    Oh, wait, that's taking the analogy too far, right?

    --
    monique

    Ask smart questions, get good answers:

    Monique Y. Mudama, Nov 9, 2005
  6. Patrick May Guest

    "Monique Y. Mudama" <> writes:
    > On 2005-11-09, Roedy Green penned:
    > > Java is like sensible shoes for women. It is a little on the plain
    > > side, but every dodad is there for a practical reason.

    > And it doesn't give you bunions or cause your ankle tendons to
    > shrink!

    Unfortunately, it doesn't make your . . . posterior more sexually
    attractive, either.

    > Oh, wait, that's taking the analogy too far, right?

    No, but I may have.

    Regards,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | The experts in large scale distributed OO

    Patrick May, Nov 9, 2005
  7. kongra Guest

    Re: What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    :
    > What do you use java for ?

    Few years ago I was doing mostly web programming stuff in Java (ATG
    Dynamo in particular). Right now I use Java for my scientific work, and
    it's actually the only programming platform that I use for this purpose
    (though my choices were made after some additional research). I build
    some kind of software analysis platform with a rich GUI (Swing).

    > AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    1. Elegant, effective and productive (!!!) language.
    2. Easy to achieve cross-platformness.
    3. Great choice of libraries, popularity of the language.
    4. Performance and scalability.

    kongra, Nov 9, 2005
  8. On 2005-11-09, Patrick May penned:
    > "Monique Y. Mudama" <> writes:
    >> On 2005-11-09, Roedy Green penned:
    >> > Java is like sensible shoes for women. It is a little on the
    >> > plain side, but every dodad is there for a practical reason.

    >> And it doesn't give you bunions or cause your ankle tendons to
    >> shrink!

    > Unfortunately, it doesn't make your . . . posterior more
    > sexually attractive, either.

    That's okay; I'll take pain-free over painfully attractive any day =)

    Honestly, I don't think it matters. A guy isn't going to go from
    finding a girl's butt unacceptable in flats to sexy in heels. No way.
    All of the effort (many) women spend on tarting up seems to be wasted,
    to me. Guys don't seem to be nearly as picky as girls are about
    female looks. Just my current theory.

    >> Oh, wait, that's taking the analogy too far, right?

    > No, but I may have.

    Me, too.

    Monique Y. Mudama, Nov 9, 2005
  9. Hal Rosser Guest

    Re: What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    And - you can light either end.

    > 1. Elegant, effective and productive (!!!) language.
    > 2. Easy to achieve cross-platformness.
    > 3. Great choice of libraries, popularity of the language.

    (Whereas VB makes your butt look big)

    Hal Rosser, Nov 9, 2005

    Re: What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    Hi, I am the original poster the this message.
    I post this question for the reason:
    "I was new to java, and I found it trival and not interesting compared
    to the new one,
    eg. Python, Ruby"

    Allthought I knew that Java was wide spread in enterprise platform, and
    was supported
    by IBM, ORacle, SAP, etc.

    But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
    I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
    You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.
    Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.

    Many people are strongly in love with Python, Scheme.
    Some of They are previous Java programmers.
    But why are they switch to python and be happy with it.
    Their switch make me thinking? -- Are there any language that are
    better than
    java and You'll get fun of it?

    I search in the google, and found that:
    2 and a half years ago, Bruce Eckel,(Book Author of: Thinking in Java
    )
    had a interview by other people, In the conversation,
    He talk why he love python and why he think that python is an sharp
    language.

    I do not mean to persuade people switch to java,
    But I do mean that Maybe Python is better for me, I 'll check it out.

    http://www.artima.com/intv/aboutme.html
    Python and the Programmer
    -- A Conversation with Bruce Eckel, Part I
    by Bill Venners
    Jun 2, 2003

    , Nov 10, 2005
  11. Roedy Green Guest

    Re: What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    On 10 Nov 2005 06:02:03 -0800, ""
    said :

    >I do not mean to persuade people switch to java,
    >But I do mean that Maybe Python is better for me, I 'll check it out.

    I used Python for a while. It has some nice shortcuts for cooking up
    code quickly, but in the end the declarations in Java are needed to
    help maintain the code, so you really are no further ahead.

    You also have the just one extra complication layer between you and
    the many Java languages you need.

    The next language that I want to go for has to be radically different.
    There is no point is changing languages only for some tiny benefit in
    tidier syntax.

    What want is a VISUAL language. I want very powerful control on how it
    presents to me, which like a style sheet, need have nothing to do with
    how other people present the same program to themselves.

    ASCII source code is text files is so sixties. It is like keeping the
    financial records of Mastercard in a Word Processor.

    see http://mindprod.com/projects/scid.html
    http://mindprod.com/projects/dynamicversioncontrol.html

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Nov 10, 2005
  12. Dave Glasser Guest

    Re: What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    "" <> wrote on 10 Nov 2005
    06:02:03 -0800 in comp.lang.java.programmer:

    >Hi, I am the original poster the this message.
    >I post this question for the reason:
    > "I was new to java, and I found it trival and not interesting compared
    >to the new one,
    >eg. Python, Ruby"
    >
    >Allthought I knew that Java was wide spread in enterprise platform, and
    >was supported
    >by IBM, ORacle, SAP, etc.
    >
    >But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
    >I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
    >You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.

    How about following a paycheck? How many jobs are there for Python or
    Ruby programmers? How well do they pay in relation to other languages?

    >Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.
    >
    >Many people are strongly in love with Python, Scheme.
    >Some of They are previous Java programmers.
    >But why are they switch to python and be happy with it.
    >Their switch make me thinking? -- Are there any language that are
    >better than
    >java and You'll get fun of it?

    It's funny, but a lot of advocates of languages like Python, Lisp,
    etc., seem to spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about Java
    and Java developers. Now that they've found their religion, it seems
    to bug them that the unwashed masses of Java developers out there are
    not envying them for the awesome power of their superior language
    choice. It also seems to bug them that Java developers pay them little
    heed when they preach about how Java sucks because it takes 5 lines of
    code to do something in Java that takes 2 lines in their pet language.

    >I search in the google, and found that:
    >2 and a half years ago, Bruce Eckel,(Book Author of: Thinking in Java
    >)
    >had a interview by other people, In the conversation,
    >He talk why he love python and why he think that python is an sharp
    >language.
    >
    >I do not mean to persuade people switch to java,
    >But I do mean that Maybe Python is better for me, I 'll check it out.

    I hate to break this to you, but I doubt if anyone here cares what
    language you think is "better for you". You obviously care what the
    Java developers on this Java newsgroup think about your attraction to
    Python, otherwise you wouldn't have made this post. You've just
    illustrated my point above.

    --
    Check out QueryForm, a free, open source, Java/Swing-based
    front end for relational databases.

    http://qform.sourceforge.net

    If you're a musician, check out RPitch Relative Pitch
    Ear Training Software.

    http://rpitch.sourceforge.net

    Dave Glasser, Nov 10, 2005
  13. Chris Uppal Guest

    wrote:

    > But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
    > I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
    > You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.
    > Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.

    Java is a pretty dull language. It is conservative in design, both the syntax
    and semantics are (with some exceptions) derived from "safe" previous language
    designs.

    For a language enthusiast, the most exiting thing about Java is the quality of
    the VM implementation. Very impressive (IMO). There is very little else to
    rave about (interfaces are nice, and the classloader concept, and the security
    design are interesting, though).

    For someone who just wants to get a job done, there are ups and downs. The
    lack of "advanced" (i.e. stuff that has been available since the 70's) features
    in Java means that sometimes you spend a lot of time coding around its
    weaknesses. OTOH, the massive and comprehensive class libraries and
    application frameworks that are available are a big plus (but /some/ of the
    "massive and comprehensive" is just there to fix or work around weaknesses in
    the language).

    There was a time when Java was a likeable little language. Not something to
    fall in love with, but reasonably small and simple, and something you could
    comfortably code in all day. It was very refreshing to switch from the
    complexities of C++ to Java. These days, I'm not so sure -- a lot of cruft has
    been added to the language design, and it can no longer be called "small" or
    "simple" (not even by C++ standards). I grew to like Java when it was still
    young, and I still quite like it now that it has grown old and wrinkly, but I'm
    not sure whether I would feel the same if I were coming to it for the first
    time now.

    BTW, I wouldn't, myself, call Python or Ruby languages to love either. Neither
    of them (IMO) is anything more than a not-very-well designed, and pretty badly
    implemented, rehash of concepts that have been around for ages in languages
    like LISP and Smalltalk. Now /those/ are languages to love, not poxy upstart
    scripting languages ;-)

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Nov 11, 2005
  14. Re: What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    wrote:

    > But I cann't find any thing intresting in java.
    > I mean that There are so many programming language in the world,
    > You have mutiple choice, So, You need to choose follow your heart.
    > Your choice should really makes you happy when you are with it.

    I prefer Python as a language, but I use Java. Nobody forces me to. I
    did not choose the language I liked most. Why? Because Java gets the job
    done for me and in the end that is what counts. There is an excellent
    infrastructure for devoloping and deploying Java software for all major
    operating systems, complete with a standard GUI and a multi-platform 3D
    library. Unfortunately, the Python community has not been able to come
    up with anyting comparable. Maybe Ruby will be more successful at some
    point. I don't know.

    Olaf Delgado-Friedrichs, Nov 12, 2005
  15. HalcyonWild Guest

    Roedy Green wrote:

    > On 10 Nov 2005 06:02:03 -0800, ""
    > said :

    [ something deleted ]

    > The next language that I want to go for has to be radically different.
    > There is no point is changing languages only for some tiny benefit in
    > tidier syntax.

    very true. but you still need to go towards any language, where you
    feel you can earn.

    > What want is a VISUAL language. I want very powerful control on how it
    > presents to me, which like a style sheet, need have nothing to do with
    > how other people present the same program to themselves.
    >
    > ASCII source code is text files is so sixties. It is like keeping the
    > financial records of Mastercard in a Word Processor.

    Yeah, we have Visual Basic for that. No more sixties style source code
    in text files. Just copy and paste, drag and drop, and voila , your app
    is ready. Meet most of your requirements.

    HalcyonWild, Nov 12, 2005
  16. Roedy Green Guest

    Re: What do you use java for ? AndDoes Java make you feel happy?

    On 11 Nov 2005 18:26:10 -0800, "HalcyonWild" <>

    >Yeah, we have Visual Basic for that. No more sixties style source code
    >in text files. Just copy and paste, drag and drop, and voila , your app
    >is ready. Meet most of your requirements.

    Visual Basic is not what I had in mind. See

    Roedy Green, Nov 12, 2005