What does <& mean? Is it some sort of comment??

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bob Novell, Feb 5, 2004.

  1. Bob Novell

    Bob Novell Guest

    I just encountered a page which displays improperly in Netscape (7.1 and
    4.7) - it shows lines staring with <& and ending with &>

    These lines do not display with I.E. 6.

    Is this <& some sort of comment which only IE understands?

    The page in question is
    http://www.ketc.org/whatson/tvschedules4.htm?date=2004-02-04&hour=17&format=short

    The lines are:

    <% ' Part 1 of the image %> <% ' Part 2 of the image %>

    and

    <% ' Part 3 of the image %>

    Bob

    Bob Novell, Feb 5, 2004

  2. Bob Novell

    Bob Novell Guest

    Re: That should have been - <%, I've been up too long :)

    Those tags I'm wondering about are <% and %>

    Not <& and &> as I typed in the original message.

    I've been up too long, since very, very early this morning, and need to
    get some sleep :)

    Bob Novell, Feb 5, 2004

  3. Bob Novell wrote:
    > I just encountered a page which displays improperly in Netscape (7.1 and
    > 4.7) - it shows lines staring with <& and ending with &>

    It's <%, not <&. My guess is that they're trying to use ASP comments,
    but they don't have ASP enabled (at least for that page).

    Leif K-Brooks, Feb 5, 2004
  4. Bob Novell

    Duende Guest

    While sitting in a puddle Leif K-Brooks scribbled in the mud:

    > Bob Novell wrote:
    >> I just encountered a page which displays improperly in Netscape (7.1
    >> and 4.7) - it shows lines staring with <& and ending with &>

    > It's <%, not <&. My guess is that they're trying to use ASP comments,
    > but they don't have ASP enabled (at least for that page).

    Could be <?

    --
    Duende
    Recommended hosting