    What is Server-Side Jscript?

    Thank you,

    Max
    Maxwell2006, Mar 6, 2006

  2. The only situation I can think of where the phrase "Server - side JScript
    (not JScript.NET) applies is in Classic ASP, where you are using JScript as
    the page scripting language instead of the default VBScript.
    Peter

    http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    UnBlog:
    http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Mar 6, 2006

  3. Maxwell2006 wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a requirement to develop an application component using only
    > Server-Side Jscript (not Jscript.NET).
    >
    > What is Server-Side Jscript?
    >
    > Thank you,
    >
    > Max

    I'd assume that the requirement is for a plain-old-vanilla ASP
    application; ASP can host several languages, VBScript being the one
    that most are familiar with.

    Server-side JScript is an ECMAScript language - basically Microsoft's
    implementation of Javascript stripped of client-side objects with
    access to the seven ASP objects.

    A quick Google for "Jscript ASP" brings up the expected number of
    tutorials and general gubbins. The differences are minimal, truth be
    told, I only used it because I always hated VBScript.

    HTH

    --Bob
    Flinky Wisty Pomm, Mar 6, 2006
  4. re:
    > What is Server-Side Jscript?

    Server-Side JScript *is* JScript.Net, if you're building ASP.NET Applications.
    JScript.Net can also be used to compile desktop and console applications.

    JScript.Net is just another language, like C# or VB.NET, both of which
    can be used to create Web, desktop and console apps, like JScript does.

    Start learning about JScript here :

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/jscript7/html/jsoriJScript.asp

    Additional resources for JScript programmers :
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...iadditionalresourcesforjscriptprogrammers.asp

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ===================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 6, 2006
  5. Good explanation but in that case the question is misplaced,
    given that this is an ASP.NET newsgroup, not an ASP newsgroup.

    In here, we talk about Server-side JScript as equivalent to JScript.Net.

    Additionally, going back to ASP at this stage of the game is a backwards step.

    It would mean losing throughput because
    of the inherent inefficiency of interpreted languages.

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 6, 2006
  6. Hi Max,

    As other members have mentioned, ASP.NET only support compile languages for
    developing server-side code components. For script-based dynamic web
    document, you may consider use the classic ASP approach. However, for
    performance and development convenience, ASP.NET is much preferred.

    Regards,

    Steven Cheng
    Microsoft Online Support

    Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security