What is Server-Side Jscript (not Jscript.NET)?

Maxwell2006

Hi,

I have a requirement to develop an application component using only
Server-Side Jscript (not Jscript.NET).

What is Server-Side Jscript?

Thank you,

Max

Guest

The only situation I can think of where the phrase "Server - side JScript
(not JScript.NET) applies is in Classic ASP, where you are using JScript as
the page scripting language instead of the default VBScript.
Peter

Flinky Wisty Pomm

Maxwell2006 said:
Hi,

I have a requirement to develop an application component using only
Server-Side Jscript (not Jscript.NET).

What is Server-Side Jscript?

Thank you,

Max

I'd assume that the requirement is for a plain-old-vanilla ASP
application; ASP can host several languages, VBScript being the one
that most are familiar with.

Server-side JScript is an ECMAScript language - basically Microsoft's
implementation of Javascript stripped of client-side objects with
access to the seven ASP objects.

A quick Google for "Jscript ASP" brings up the expected number of
tutorials and general gubbins. The differences are minimal, truth be
told, I only used it because I always hated VBScript.

HTH

--Bob

Juan T. Llibre

re:
What is Server-Side Jscript?

Server-Side JScript *is* JScript.Net, if you're building ASP.NET Applications.
JScript.Net can also be used to compile desktop and console applications.

JScript.Net is just another language, like C# or VB.NET, both of which
can be used to create Web, desktop and console apps, like JScript does.

Start learning about JScript here :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/jscript7/html/jsoriJScript.asp

Additional resources for JScript programmers :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...iadditionalresourcesforjscriptprogrammers.asp

Juan T. Llibre

Good explanation but in that case the question is misplaced,
given that this is an ASP.NET newsgroup, not an ASP newsgroup.

In here, we talk about Server-side JScript as equivalent to JScript.Net.

Additionally, going back to ASP at this stage of the game is a backwards step.

It would mean losing throughput because
of the inherent inefficiency of interpreted languages.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Max,

As other members have mentioned, ASP.NET only support compile languages for
developing server-side code components. For script-based dynamic web
document, you may consider use the classic ASP approach. However, for
performance and development convenience, ASP.NET is much preferred.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security