what is similar to CORBA in .Net

R. Sammut

Hi all,

I need to build a distributed application. I'm confused on what
technology to use to develop my project. Ideally I would use CORBA,
but i would prefer to use the .net environment. What is the most
similar architecture to CORBA in the .net environment?

Should I use .net Web services or .net Web application? Another
question, when using ASP.net web services, can i build a distributed
application without using asp?? I do not need to display web pages in
my project. What I need is the SOAP and XML technologies to transfer
information between the applications.

thanks
RS

Jan Tielens

In the Microsoft world you have several choices:
- web services
- .NET Remoting
- COM+

My opinion is that web services is probably a good choice if you take a look
at the future (Indigo) and interoperability.

I suggest you take a look at this article:
Designing Data Tier Components and Passing Data Through Tiers
http://tinyurl.com/2706

If you really want to use Corba in a .NET environment, take a look at:
http://remoting-corba.sourceforge.net/
Remoting.Corba (pronounced remoting dot corba) is a project that aims to
integrate CORBA/IIOP support into the .NET Remoting architecture. The goal
is to allow .NET programmers to use C# and Visual Basic .NET to develop
systems that interoperate with systems that support the Internet Inter-ORB
Protocol (IIOP), including CORBA systems and various application servers and
middleware technologies.
Another question, when using ASP.net web services, can i build a distributed
application without using asp??

You can use web services without having to use web pages. ASP.NET Web
Services is just the name of the technology, it runs on top of ASP.NET.
ASP.NET can be used for creating web services OR web pages.