What is this DataList exactly ?

Guest

Dear all,

Does this datalist control is somehow similar as a datasource for any other
control ?
I really to catch the use of it, can we assimilate that control as a kind of
dataset or dataprovider ?

Similar things with the Repeater control is for defining a kind of section
in a set of dta in a grid layout ?

thnaks for your clarification
regards

S. Justin Gengo

Serge,

The Datagrid, Repeater, and Datalist are all similar controls that each have
the same ultimate function: displaying data contained in some type of object
usually a DataTable. Data may be bound to each control.

Really they are all very similar each one just gives various levels of
control over the display. I rarely use anything except the datagrid, but
there have certainly been times that the Datalist has been the better
display tool depending on the type of data I was displaying.

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer

www.aboutfortunate.com

"Out of chaos comes order."
Nietzsche

sreejith.ram

For example - You have a dataset with 15 Names (only 1 column).. and
you want to display 4 Names in a row like below..

Name1 Name2 Name3 Name4
Name5 Name6 Name7 Name8
Name9 Name10 Name11 Name12
Name13 Name14 Name15

Datalist can display data in this layout by setting 1 or 2 properties.
With datagrid and repeater you will be able to achive this , but will
need additional coding.

hope this helps :) ..

Guest

I Have try to test teh datalist as follow :

OleDbDataAdapter1.Fill(ds)
DataList1.DataSource = ds
DataList1.DataBind()

but the only thing I get is s blank page, no data even column headers....
Any idea why ?

By the way why this datagrid absolutly need what is called a template ? I
just want to display data as simple text

thnaks
serge

S. Justin Gengo

Serge,

Are you certain that any data rows are in your datasource?

--
Sincerely,

S. Justin Gengo, MCP
Web Developer / Programmer