    Jim Guest

    I see it's a VM for Ruby, but what does that mean and what is it good
    for?

    Jim, Feb 4, 2006

  2. Wilson Bilkovich, Feb 5, 2006

  3. Put shortly, it's a Rubyists (for given values of Rubyist, notably includin=
    g=20
    me) biggest dream. If it works out, Ruby scripts will run Damn Fast compare=
    d=20
    to how they do now. They could also be distributable in a compact wordcode=
    =20
    form, for all the good and bad that brings.

    <rant>
    i also silently hope for YARV to run / compile in a mode without support fo=
    r=20
    string-based eval, the mild deprecation of that horrible, completely=20
    unoptimizable language feature in the core / stdlib in favour of the=20
    multitude of much cleaner reflection and metaprogramming present in Ruby, s=
    o=20
    that there's at least a remote hope of such wonders like clean blocks that=
    =20
    don't prevent their entire scope from being GCed just because the interpret=
    er=20
    can't tell whether it will be used. Etc.
    </rant>

    David Vallner

    D=C5=88a Sobota 04 Febru=C3=A1r 2006 22:53 Jim nap=C3=ADsal:

    David Vallner, Feb 5, 2006