What is your experience with JOGL?

Discussion in 'Java' started by Mitch, Apr 26, 2006.

  1. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    Hi.

    I have an assignment for a graphics class that requires the use of
    openGL. The lecturer has assumed that everyone will use the C libraries
    for it, and I've used C before so that wouldn't be too bad, but I know
    that JOGL (And others if you have recommendations) exists and would be
    more inclined to use Java than C. Mainly because Its due very soon and
    re-learning C seems pointless when I'm short on time, and have just
    finished a massive (for me) Java project.
    So a long story short, have any of you used it and would you recommend
    it? There are reports that it is flaky, but most of these come from
    ~2003 and the google groups cache on it is slim. Its not a huge
    assignment, make a dude ride a unicycle and be able to change the camera
    angles etc., so its hardly pushing the boundaries of openGL either, so I
    assume JOGL will be able to handle it. I suppose I'm just looking for
    any warnings before I continue

    Thanks for your time :)

    Mitch.
    Mitch, Apr 26, 2006

  2. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    Re: What is your experience with JOGL? (No longer needed)

    Mitch wrote:
    > Hi.
    >
    > I have an assignment for a graphics class that requires the use of
    > openGL. The lecturer has assumed that everyone will use the C libraries
    > for it, and I've used C before so that wouldn't be too bad, but I know
    > that JOGL (And others if you have recommendations) exists and would be
    > more inclined to use Java than C. Mainly because Its due very soon and
    > re-learning C seems pointless when I'm short on time, and have just
    > finished a massive (for me) Java project.
    > So a long story short, have any of you used it and would you
    > recommend it? There are reports that it is flaky, but most of these
    > come from ~2003 and the google groups cache on it is slim. Its not a
    > huge assignment, make a dude ride a unicycle and be able to change the
    > camera angles etc., so its hardly pushing the boundaries of openGL
    > either, so I assume JOGL will be able to handle it. I suppose I'm just
    > looking for any warnings before I continue
    >
    > Thanks for your time :)
    >
    > Mitch.

    Well the lecturer got back to me (Typically only after I had posted
    this) and as he doesn't want to install any extra libraries he wants me
    to do it in C. I would still be open to any advice on JOGL, but it's
    not needed any more.

    Thanks anyway!

    Mitch.
    Mitch, Apr 26, 2006

  3. Mitch

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Mitch wrote:

    > [...] I
    > assume JOGL will be able to handle it. I suppose I'm just looking for
    > any warnings before I continue

    If your teacher will be running it on his/her own machine, then I suggest that
    you check that JOGL will run on that machine before committing too much time to
    it. Alternatively, check that the powers-that-be will accept "it works fine on
    my machine, let me demonstrate".

    OTOH, and if I remember correctly (not too likely in this case because I've
    only ever glanced over it), JOGL's a pretty thin wrapper for OGL, rather than a
    graphics library which happens to use OGL as its lowest layer. If so then the
    JOBL bindings will not be wildly different from the C bindings and changing
    horses in mid-stream should be quite easy. Especially if you concentrate on
    the OGL stuff to start with, rather than the more Java-specific stuff like
    window handling, etc.

    -- chris
    Chris Uppal, Apr 26, 2006
  4. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    I'm in two minds.

    The lecturers reply was

    /////

    Hi,

    Is this for your EE3F2 assignment?

    If it is you should be use the C binding. I need to be able to execute
    the program and do not have time to install additional libraries.

    Regards,

    DP

    /////

    I really want to email him with the argument that he wouldn't need to
    include any other libraries and that I could provide a suitable
    executable.

    I have posted this on the javagames.org forum:

    ///////

    Hi.

    I am required for a graphics course to use openGL, however the lecturer
    is familiar with the C bindings / api / library et al. I would very
    much like to do my project in Java (as C is the spawn of Satan),
    however I have a few questions before I approach him with it.

    My first is the most important, without a yes to this I cant continue.

    >> Is it possible to create my program, using JOGL, without the assessor having to install any extra libraries etc.?

    To expand on that, he requires a standalone executable. He has (I
    assume) the libraries required to run openGL from Visual Studio in C,
    but If i were to give him a file (perhaps a .jar) could I include all
    the libraries etc he would require in one place so that he wouldn't
    have to install anything extra, and he could just run my program.

    >> Apparently the bindings are very similar to openGL in C, and as such, does it still use an OO Approach? the C code I have looked at regarding openGL looks far more confusing that it needs to be. I was wondering if there will still be individual classes for each item drawn etc.

    Basically my two main concerns are A) I need the lecturer to have ne
    excuses to give me as to why he cant accept it in Java (He does program
    in Java anyway) and B) Is it significantly different to warrant the
    extra effort using JOGL and creating an application that he can assess.

    Thank you for your time.

    Mitch

    ////////

    Waiting responses. If any of you kind folk have any opinions on the
    above I would be grateful.

    Thanks again :)

    Mitch.
    Mitch, Apr 28, 2006
  5. Mitch

    Guest

    Chris Uppal wrote:
    > Mitch wrote:
    >
    > > [...] I
    > > assume JOGL will be able to handle it. I suppose I'm just looking for
    > > any warnings before I continue

    > If your teacher will be running it on his/her own machine, then I suggest that
    > you check that JOGL will run on that machine before committing too much time to
    > it.

    JOGL projects can be launched using JWS.

    If the instructor has Java 1.3+ and internet, they
    should be set.

    Andrew T.
    , May 1, 2006
  6. Mitch

    Mitch Guest

    wrote:
    > Chris Uppal wrote:
    >> Mitch wrote:
    >>
    >>> [...] I
    >>> assume JOGL will be able to handle it. I suppose I'm just looking for
    >>> any warnings before I continue

    >> If your teacher will be running it on his/her own machine, then I suggest that
    >> you check that JOGL will run on that machine before committing too much time to
    >> it.

    > JOGL projects can be launched using JWS.
    >
    > If the instructor has Java 1.3+ and internet, they
    > should be set.
    >
    > Andrew T.

    Thanks, but the assignment specified the program had to be run from a
    disc I had to hand in (if it were internet based I would be able to
    change the code after the deadline).

    It's finished now, had to be done in C, turns out it wasn't as bad as I
    thought - though not being able to separate the 1793 lines of code into
    classes drove me crazy.

    Thanks for all your comments though :)

    --
    Mitch