  1. nib

    nib Guest

    What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    nib, Dec 29, 2003

  2. nib

    Malcolm Guest

    "nib" <> wrote in message

    > What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    Any computer program is best if it solves a well-defined problem, and is
    short enough for a single person to understand it at once.

    C should be your langauge of choice if it is important that the program be
    understood by a large number of people (simply because C is so widely
    understood). It is also the language to choose if execution speed is
    extremely important, because C compilers are very efficient.

    If execution speed is paramount you should use assembly language, if it is
    important that the language be easy to implement (ie build an
    interpreter/compiler for) you should use BASIC, if the project is very
    complex then arguably you should use C++, if the problem is non-numerical in
    nature SNOBOL, for pattern matching, or COBOL, for business programming, are
    good choices.

    C is a very general-purpose language that should be the default if nothing
    else is indicated.

    Malcolm, Dec 29, 2003

  3. Richard Heathfield, Dec 29, 2003
  4. On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 19:25:32 GMT, nib <> wrote:

    >What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    Those that can be solved by a computer.

    --
    #include <standard.disclaimer>
    _

    Kevin D. Quitt, Dec 29, 2003
  5. nib

    osmium Guest

    osmium, Dec 29, 2003
  6. [Sorry I'm using Malcolm's post as I can't see the OP's post yet]

    > "nib" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    Anything that can be described by an algorithm. Preferably a procedural
    algorithm, though it's not uncommon to use C in typically OO or other
    non-procedural context.

    Peter

    Peter Pichler, Dec 29, 2003
  7. nib

    Nudge Guest

    osmium wrote:

    > nib writes:
    >
    >> What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    > Here is a list of things where C++ has been alleged to be used
    > with some degree of success.

    How is that relevant to his question?

    Nudge, Dec 29, 2003
  8. "osmium" <> wrote in message
    > If C is best at solving anything that can be described by an algorithm

    then
    > it is the best language there is.

    Of course it is! After my native language, that is ;-)

    > A highly dubious assertion.

    Why? ;-)

    Peter Pichler, Dec 29, 2003
  9. osmium wrote:

    > nib writes:
    >
    >> What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    > Here is a list of things where C++ has been alleged to be used with some
    > degree of success.

    Methinks you forgot which newsgroup you're in.

    <snip!>

    --
    Richard Heathfield :

    Richard Heathfield, Dec 29, 2003
  10. nib

    osmium Guest

    Peter Pichler writes:

    > > > What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    > Anything that can be described by an algorithm. Preferably a procedural
    > algorithm, though it's not uncommon to use C in typically OO or other
    > non-procedural context.

    If C is best at solving anything that can be described by an algorithm then
    it is the best language there is. A highly dubious assertion.

    osmium, Dec 30, 2003
  11. On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, nib wrote:

    > What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    C is a programming language, not a general problem solver.

    Tak-Shing

    Tak-Shing Chan, Dec 30, 2003
  12. nib <> spoke thus:

    > What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    I've heard it can solve the halting problem.

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jan 2, 2004
  13. Christopher Benson-Manica wrote:

    > nib <> spoke thus:
    >
    >> What kind of problems is c best at solving?

    > I've heard it can solve the halting problem.

    Oh, stop that!

    --
    Richard Heathfield :)

    Richard Heathfield, Jan 3, 2004