What OLE should I use?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Ramon F Herrera, Jul 6, 2004.

  1. My application will produce hundreds of Acrobat PDF files
    on a daily basis. In order to get a grasp on classifying
    them under the Windows Shell/Explorer, I would like to add
    to each file some properties, both BuiltIn (Author, Title,
    Subject, Category, Comments, etc.) as well as Custom (Deadline,
    SSN, Employer, etc.).

    Ideally, I would like to find some utility that would allow
    me to add said properties like so:

    AddToPropertySet("OdeToJoy.pdf", "Author", "Beethoven");

    I really don't care what language the utility is written in, but
    I suspect that Perl is the most advanced language for this use,
    with the OLE modules.

    I haven't even dowloaded the modules, but it looks like there is
    an older one (obsolete perhaps?) OLE::Storage:property which
    seems appropriate enough. On the other hand, there is a newer
    module, Win32::OLE which presumably replaced the older one but I
    can't find a single mention of "Property".

    Which of those two (or any other?) modules should I use?
    Or perhaps there is a tool/script out there written already
    that will add those properties?

    TIA,

    -Ramon F Herrera
    Ramon F Herrera, Jul 6, 2004

  2. (Ramon F Herrera) wrote in

    > My application will produce hundreds of Acrobat PDF files
    > on a daily basis. In order to get a grasp on classifying
    > them under the Windows Shell/Explorer, I would like to add
    > to each file some properties, both BuiltIn (Author, Title,
    > Subject, Category, Comments, etc.) as well as Custom (Deadline,
    > SSN, Employer, etc.).
    >
    > Ideally, I would like to find some utility that would allow
    > me to add said properties like so:
    >
    > AddToPropertySet("OdeToJoy.pdf", "Author", "Beethoven");
    >
    > I really don't care what language the utility is written in, but
    > I suspect that Perl is the most advanced language for this use,
    > with the OLE modules.

    http://is-it-true.org/nt/atips/atips226.shtml

    might help.

    --