What people are using to access this mailing list

John Bond

Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
service?

My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
of following this and other lists.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cheers, JB.

Steven D'Aprano

Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
or online service?

Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.

tinnews

John Bond said:
Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
service?

My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
of following this and other lists.

Thanks for any suggestions.
I read it as a Usenet newsgroup, far better than as an E-Mail list
IMHO. Wherever I have a choice (quite a few mailing lists are
'gatewayed' with newsgroups) I choose the newsgroup, newsreaders are
much more able to manage this sort of discussion group.

Alternatively, if you want to stay with the E-Mail format then use
some sort of filtering that will allow you to send each mailing list
to its own folder. I do this with a home-grown python script but most
E-Mail programs have the ability to do this themselves nowadays.

Roy Smith

John Bond said:
Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
service?

Usenet group comp.lang.python. Most of the time, using MT-NewsWatcher
on my Mac. Occasionally via the Google Groups web interface.

Wolfgang Strobl

John Bond said:
Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
service?

I'm reading comp.lang.python on usenet, using Forté Agent as a
newsreader, which connects via nntp to a locally managed leafnode, which
in turn is fed by http://news.individual.net/ (for most newsgroups) and
there). I usually try to avoid reading mailing lists as mail.
My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
of following this and other lists.

Another way to regain control is to use separate mail adresses for
different purposes. I'm adding another alias for a new subscription or a
new registration email adress each time I subscribe to something.

Grant Edwards

Of, course.

The OP could have figured all this out by himself by merely looking at
the headers for a sampling of articles.

Heck, with about 50 lines of Python, one could probably produced a
fairly comprehensive statistical report on access methods and clients
used by posters to "this mailing list". [An NNTP client module is one
of the "batteries", and that module's docs contains most of the code
needed to access the articles.]

Finding out the access methods used by people who don't post is
somewhat more difficult. :)

John Bond

The OP could have figured all this out by himself by merely looking at
the headers for a sampling of articles.

Heck, with about 50 lines of Python, one could probably produced a
fairly comprehensive statistical report on access methods and clients
used by posters to "this mailing list". [An NNTP client module is one
of the "batteries", and that module's docs contains most of the code
needed to access the articles.]

Finding out the access methods used by people who don't post is
somewhat more difficult. :)
The OP isn't that clever! :eek:)

Cheers, JB

Peter Pearson

Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
service?

Usenet via a server at news.individual.net,
newsgroup name comp.lang.python, client slrn.