    of following this and other lists.

    Thanks for any suggestions.

    Cheers, JB.
    John Bond, Nov 3, 2010

  2. On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:

    > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    > this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    > or online service?

    Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Nov 3, 2010

  3. John Bond

    Guest

    John Bond <> wrote:
    > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
    > mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
    > service?
    >
    > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
    > of following this and other lists.
    >
    > Thanks for any suggestions.

    I read it as a Usenet newsgroup, far better than as an E-Mail list
    IMHO. Wherever I have a choice (quite a few mailing lists are
    'gatewayed' with newsgroups) I choose the newsgroup, newsreaders are
    much more able to manage this sort of discussion group.

    Alternatively, if you want to stay with the E-Mail format then use
    some sort of filtering that will allow you to send each mailing list
    to its own folder. I do this with a home-grown python script but most
    E-Mail programs have the ability to do this themselves nowadays.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Nov 3, 2010
  4. John Bond

    John Bond Guest

    On 3/11/2010 11:17 AM, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
    >
    >> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    >> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    >> or online service?

    > Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.

    Using what client (or web client)?

    Cheers, JB
    John Bond, Nov 3, 2010
  5. John Bond

    Paul Rudin Guest

    John Bond <> writes:

    >> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    >>> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    >>> or online service?

    >> Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.
    >>

    > Using what client (or web client)?

    Emacs, of course :-;
    Paul Rudin, Nov 3, 2010
  6. On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 11:17 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:
    > On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
    > > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    > > this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    > > or online service?

    GNOME's awesome Evolution mail (IMAP) client.

    Via a SIEVE script on a Cyrus IMAP server the mailist traffic is
    automatically placed in a folder. Then it can be read with any IMAP
    traffic. Delete the silly traffic and that folder becomes an invaluable
    resource of useful information [no wading through pages and pages of
    search-result-swill].

    <http://projects.gnome.org/evolution/index.shtml>
    <http://www.cyrusimap.org/#imap>
    --
    Adam Tauno Williams <> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
    <http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>
    Adam Tauno Williams, Nov 3, 2010
  7. John Bond

    Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    John Bond <> wrote:

    > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
    > mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
    > service?

    Usenet group comp.lang.python. Most of the time, using MT-NewsWatcher
    on my Mac. Occasionally via the Google Groups web interface.
    Roy Smith, Nov 3, 2010
  8. On 2010-11-03, Paul Rudin <> wrote:
    > John Bond <> writes:

    >>> Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.
    >>>

    >> Using what client (or web client)?

    > Emacs, of course :-;

    Slrn, of course.

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am having FUN...
    at I wonder if it's NET FUN or
    Grant Edwards, Nov 3, 2010
  9. John Bond

    QoS Guest

    Dan M <> wrote in message-id: <>

    > On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
    >
    > > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    > > this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    > > or online service?
    > >
    > > My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a
    > > new way of following this and other lists.
    > >
    > > Thanks for any suggestions.
    > >
    > > Cheers, JB.

    > Pan newsreader

    Using Perl and NewsSurfer to read this newsgroup (check headers).

    Thanks,
    QoS, Nov 3, 2010
  10. John Bond <>:

    >Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
    >mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
    >service?

    I'm reading comp.lang.python on usenet, using Forté Agent as a
    newsreader, which connects via nntp to a locally managed leafnode, which
    in turn is fed by http://news.individual.net/ (for most newsgroups) and
    there). I usually try to avoid reading mailing lists as mail.

    >My normal inbox is getting unmanageable, and I think I need to find a new way
    >of following this and other lists.

    Another way to regain control is to use separate mail adresses for
    different purposes. I'm adding another alias for a new subscription or a
    new registration email adress each time I subscribe to something.

    --
    Thank you for observing all safety precautions
    Wolfgang Strobl, Nov 3, 2010
  11. On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 13:05:23 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

    > On 2010-11-03, Paul Rudin <> wrote:
    >> John Bond <> writes:

    >>> Using what client (or web client)?

    >> Emacs, of course :-;

    > Slrn, of course.

    Pan since I'm on Linux.

    Agent if I was still a Windows user. Its the best news reader I've used.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK
    Martin Gregorie, Nov 3, 2010
  12. John Bond

    Tim Harig Guest

    On 2010-11-03, Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    > On 2010-11-03, Paul Rudin <> wrote:
    >> John Bond <> writes:

    >>> Using what client (or web client)?

    >> Emacs, of course :-;

    > Slrn, of course.

    Of, course.
    Tim Harig, Nov 3, 2010
  13. On 2010-11-03, Tim Harig <> wrote:
    > On 2010-11-03, Grant Edwards <> wrote:

    >>> Emacs, of course :-;

    >> Slrn, of course.

    > Of, course.

    The OP could have figured all this out by himself by merely looking at
    the headers for a sampling of articles.

    Heck, with about 50 lines of Python, one could probably produced a
    fairly comprehensive statistical report on access methods and clients
    used by posters to "this mailing list". [An NNTP client module is one
    of the "batteries", and that module's docs contains most of the code
    needed to access the articles.]

    Finding out the access methods used by people who don't post is
    somewhat more difficult. :)

    --
    Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Boy, am I glad it's
    at only 1971...
    Grant Edwards, Nov 3, 2010
  14. On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:58:07 +0000, John Bond wrote:

    >> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    >>> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    >>> or online service?

    >> Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.
    >>

    > Using what client (or web client)?

    Usually Pan, sometimes KNode.

    --
    Steven
    Steven D'Aprano, Nov 3, 2010
  15. John Bond

    Aahz Guest

    In article <iarmmi$qec$>,
    Grant Edwards <> wrote:
    >On 2010-11-03, Paul Rudin <> wrote:
    >> John Bond <> writes:

    >>> Using what client (or web client)?

    >> Emacs, of course :-;

    >Slrn, of course.

    trn3.6, of course.
    --
    Aahz () <*> http://www.pythoncraft.com/

    until you hire an amateur." --Red Adair
    Aahz, Nov 4, 2010
  16. John Bond

    John Bond Guest

    On 3/11/2010 7:16 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
    > The OP could have figured all this out by himself by merely looking at
    > the headers for a sampling of articles.
    >
    > Heck, with about 50 lines of Python, one could probably produced a
    > fairly comprehensive statistical report on access methods and clients
    > used by posters to "this mailing list". [An NNTP client module is one
    > of the "batteries", and that module's docs contains most of the code
    > needed to access the articles.]
    >
    > Finding out the access methods used by people who don't post is
    > somewhat more difficult. :)

    The OP isn't that clever! :eek:)

    Cheers, JB
    John Bond, Nov 4, 2010
  17. John Bond

    Guest

    Tim Harig <> wrote:
    > On 2010-11-03, Grant Edwards <> wrote:

    > >> Emacs, of course :-;

    > > Slrn, of course.

    > Of, course.

    Well I actually prefer tin to slrn but that's what's good, both are
    available still and well supported.

    --
    Chris Green
    , Nov 4, 2010
  18. On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000 (UTC), John Bond <> wrote:
    > Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to this
    > mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software or online
    > service?

    Usenet via a server at news.individual.net,
    newsgroup name comp.lang.python, client slrn.

    Peter Pearson, Nov 4, 2010
  19. John Bond

    Kev Dwyer Guest

    On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 11:17:32 +0000, Steven D'Aprano wrote:

    > On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 08:02:29 +0000, John Bond wrote:
    >
    >> Hope this isn't too O/T - I was just wondering how people read/send to
    >> this mailing list, eg. normal email client, gmane, some other software
    >> or online service?

    > Usenet via my ISP, on comp.lang.python.

    news.gmane.org, using Pan.
    Kev Dwyer, Nov 6, 2010