What´s ruby on rails for?

Marcello

Hi,

I´m a Delphi programmer,tht was once a clipper programmer,that was
once a Cobol programmer.

So,It is time to change again.

By now I would prefer to become a farmer instead of using .NET,Java
seems to be a five heads monster.

I´ve heard that Ruby on Rails is much easier to learn than Java.

But what are the cons?

Is it good for ERP development,I´ve heard something about it does not
supportin conpound primary keys and two phase commits(Altough I´ve
never done that before).

Is it too buggy?How many users there are around the world?

I´ve never seen a Ruby Job in Brazil,But I´m almost 40 years old
now,It is time to take the risk and learn something that will last more
10 or 15 years(Is it Ruby?)

What books do you recomend for a beginner?

Marcello

dblack

---2049402039-236940014-1165770866=:25143

---2049402039-236940014-1165770866=:25143

HI --

Hi,

I=B4m a Delphi programmer,tht was once a clipper programmer,that was
once a Cobol programmer.

So,It is time to change again.

By now I would prefer to become a farmer instead of using .NET,Java
seems to be a five heads monster.

I=B4ve heard that Ruby on Rails is much easier to learn than Java.

Ruby on Rails is a Web application development framework written in
Ruby, which is a general-purpose object-oriented programming language.
Right now, you're on the Ruby mailing list. You can find more info
about Ruby on Rails, including mailing list info, at:
http://www.rubyonrails.org.

David

--=20
David A. Black | (e-mail address removed)
---2049402039-236940014-1165770866=:25143--
---2049402039-236940014-1165770866=:25143--

David Vallner

--------------enigA168924780FA8995373403F1
Is it good for ERP development,I=B4ve heard something about it does not=
supportin conpound primary keys and two phase commits(Altough I=B4ve
never done that before).
=20

Rails uses ActiveRecord for its ORM by default, which doesn't like to
play too well with legacy schemas, natural primary keys, and prefers to
ignore any database features that weren't present in MySQL 3.x. You
probably don't need 2PC unless running on a write-mostly DB cluster, and
there's Rails plugins or alternate ORM backends that can iron out the
other quirks available. (Dr. Nic's Magic Models comes to mind, or his
plugin for composite PKs.) But the Rails list is a better place to ask.
Is it too buggy?How many users there are around the world?
=20

Odles, it's the Shiny New Kid On The Block. (For metaphorical values of
"new".) And I believe it's Reasonably Stable (tm).

David Vallner

--------------enigA168924780FA8995373403F1

--------------enigA168924780FA8995373403F1--

Piers Harding

--K4LMwn8CgX2KMboP

Hi - for the Portuguese speakers there is http://www.balanceonrails.com.br/
and a book that Fabio Akita wrote - maybe this would be of some help.

Cheers.

Hi,
=20
[...]

Home - http://www.piersharding.com