What's The Best Editor for python

PythonStudent

Hi,
Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for editing the python
programs ( for linux or windows ), and if you can send it to me to the
adresse (e-mail address removed)

Thanks

Jorge Godoy

PythonStudent said:
Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for editing the python
programs ( for linux or windows ), and if you can send it to me to the
adresse (e-mail address removed)

Emacs runs on both. So do Eclipe and a lot of other... What is best? The
one that solves your problems without getting in your way.

--
Jorge Godoy <[email protected]>

- Qualquer coisa dita em latim soa profundo.
- Anything said in Latin sounds smart.

Tim Chase

Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for
editing the python programs ( for linux or windows ), and
if you can send it to me to the adresse

Hmmm...it's been almost a week since this topic came up on
the list. Good to see the topic is undead :) For plenty of
reading, check out the list archives:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp...ng.python&q=editor+(best+OR+perfect+OR+ideal)

Pretty much any text editor will do. If you're developing
on both Linux and Windows, it's an advantage to have an
editor that you can use on both. I happen to use vim/vi
which is available pretty much wherever you go. About the
same sorta thing can be said for emacs, though I'm not a
user, so I can't comment on it. I'll grant that vi/vim has
a learning curve like a brick wall, but once you're over the
initial learning hurdle, it reaps heaps of rewards.

Check out http://www.python.org/moin/PythonEditors

Try 'em out and see what *you* like. In a pinch, there's
always ed:

http://www.gnu.org/jokes/ed.msg.html
http://www.gnu.org/software/ed/ed.html

Or edlin if you're on Dos/Win32 :) Though I think in such
an event on Dos/Win32, I'd almost rather use "copy con" as
my editor...

-tkc

tjerk

PythonStudent said:
Hi,
Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for editing the python
programs ( for linux or windows ), and if you can send it to me to the
adresse (e-mail address removed)
Why don´t you try the editor wich comes with Pythoncard.
Or Notepad++ Thanks

Harlin Seritt

Food for thought... I admit it would be best if you could use the same
editor for both *nix and Windows -- in that case, I'd say Scite would
be best as it is almost identical in both environments. However, my own
personal favorites are: Crimson Editor for Windows and Kate for Linux.
Yes, I know... strange choices (especially Kate) but they both do what
I need them to do. :)

Harlin Seritt

flamesrock

I agree, Kate is a great linux editor!

On windows, I'd have to say notepad2- kate for windows

Wildemar Wildenburger

just to bloat this thread some more:

Am I the only one using jEdit?
(really, I never see it mentioned anywhere ...)

wildemar

jlowery

Been using PyDev plugin for Eclipse for a week now... works pretty
good, and integrates well with PyLint.

Has some context-sensitive help, but not much. I wonder if writing a
script to convert Python HTML docs to Javadoc format would help?
Hmmmm.... maybe I'll ask.

Harlin Seritt

Was actually going to throw in jEdit for the category of what's good on
both platforms... For someone who despises Java, I actually like it.
:)

Harlin

Ian Parker

I agree, Kate is a great linux editor!

On windows, I'd have to say notepad2- kate for windows
Well, Notepad might be a bare-bones. I enjoy using UltraEdit, though
not UEStudio (the IDE version). You can include a "wordfile" to get
Python syntax recognition. Tools are user configurable globally or by
project - my first three global tools are Check (with pychecker), Test
and Run

Regards

Ian

Miguel E.

PythonStudent said:
Hi,
Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for editing the python
programs ( for linux or windows )

What may be "best" for me, may not necessarily work for you nor anybody
else. Personally, I like to use Kate, Pico, or Joe on Linux, and
Notepad2 or IDLE editor for Windows.

Cheers,

-M

Christoph Zwerschke

Just because nobody has mentioned them so far:

- SciTe is a perfect editor for Pyhton on Win and Linx
- PyScripter is a wonderful IDE (but only on Win)
- DrPython is a nice platform independent editor/mini-IDE

There is no one editor that could be called the best one, but there are
many which are far better suited for Python than the simple standard
text editors (Notepad & Co).

Maybe you prefer to have one editor that suits all your programming and
typing needs (not only Python), so you don't have to use different
editors Python, HTML, XML, config files etc. SciTe performs very well
here, and of course also Emacs...

-- Christoph

gene tani

Christoph said:
Just because nobody has mentioned them so far:

- SciTe is a perfect editor for Pyhton on Win and Linx
- PyScripter is a wonderful IDE (but only on Win)
- DrPython is a nice platform independent editor/mini-IDE

http://www.artima.com/forums/flat.jsp?forum=106&thread=148389&start=0&msRange=15

http://activestate.com/Products/Komodo/?utm_source=home_page&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=Komodo
http://wingware.com/

Also vim, emacs, jedit or eclipse, textmate, Leo, Kate,

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi,
Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for editing the python
programs ( for linux or windows ), and if you can send it to me to the
adresse (e-mail address removed)
There is "no one best" editor... There is only the editor one is
most productive in -- which typically means the editor one is most
comfortable with.

I can't get anywhere in EMACS... VIm, OTOH, is usable to me (though
I'm out of practice since my heaviest usage had been a VI "look-alike"
on my Amiga -- called Z -- some 15 years ago).

In the early 80s, I actually programmed the editor that came with
Alcor Pascal (TRS-80 Model III/4) to behave like DEC's VMS EDT editor
(that was tricky -- VT100+ had four keys across the top of the numeric
pad, the TRS-80 only had three <G>). It allowed me to carry over my work
editor practices to my home machine.

The only recommendation I can give is that you likely want a
"programmer's" editor -- which is not Notepad/Wordpad... You want
something that works in physical "lines", not multi-line autowrapping
paragraphs.

Heck, for Ada, I've gone years using AdaGIDE (even installed it on
my desktop at work for editing, even though the files won't compile on
it as they come down from a Sun system). Recently installed GNAT GPL
just to see what a current GPS looks like (the 2.x series never caught
my eye)... I find AdaGIDE does one thing GPS doesn't -- color-code
numeric literals...

jussij

Can one of you say to me what's the best editor for
editing the python programs( for linux or windows )

The Zeus for Windows IDE has support for Python:

http://www.zeusedit.com/python.html

It does Python code folding, smart indenting and syntax
highlighting. It also has features like project/workspace
mangement, ftp editing and class browsing etc.

You can even write Zeus macros in Python.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author of: Zeus for Windows
NOTE: Zeus is shareware

Patrick Stinson