When does java proxy take effect?

fltcpt

Hello,

I am more than 10 years late but finally I have
to write java applets. My applet does something like
this

Socket s = new Socket();
s.connect(server, ...);

Behold, it succeeds in connecting to "server"... good
news? No, because I've configured an unreachable
proxy in my browser (internet explorer)... and
my java control panel says "use browser settings"
for proxy.

It seems to me my socket.connect() is not connecting
through the proxy, is that true? am I correct?
If that's the case, what is the java plug-in
proxy setting for? When or what api will go through
the proxy according to the plugin settings?

Thanks alot.

Jim

Hello,

I am more than 10 years late but finally I have
to write java applets. My applet does something like
this

Socket s = new Socket();
s.connect(server, ...);

Behold, it succeeds in connecting to "server"... good
news? No, because I've configured an unreachable
proxy in my browser (internet explorer)... and
my java control panel says "use browser settings"
for proxy.

It seems to me my socket.connect() is not connecting
through the proxy, is that true? am I correct?
If that's the case, what is the java plug-in
proxy setting for? When or what api will go through
the proxy according to the plugin settings?

Thanks alot.

try this site

http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0085.html

I found it helpful when trying to get through our proxy at work

BTW : different properties for ftp, etc

Jim

EJP

Jim said:
try this site

http://www.rgagnon.com/javadetails/java-0085.html

I found it helpful when trying to get through our proxy at work

BTW : different properties for ftp, etc

Just to note that proxySet has never been tested by the JDK. It was used
by the shortlived HotJava browser bean. These days the proxy properties
to set are http.proxyHost and http.proxyPort. The ones mentioned on that
website still work but they're not actually the ones documented in the JDK.