When using system() to invoke lynx; connect_timeout ignored

Dan Johnson

Hello All.

It has been my habit, for some time now , to use lynx; called through
the Perl system() command; to grab web pages for processing. The LWP
module would probably do a better job; yet old habits are hard to
break. That said; my old habit is not doing the job for me at the
moment. The call in the code is as follows:

system ("/bin/lynx -dump -source $url > $work_file2");

The /etc/lynx.cfg is set with:

..h2 CONNECT_TIMEOUT
# Specifies (in seconds) connect timeout. Not available under DOS (use
# sockdelay parameter of wattcp). Default value is rather huge.
CONNECT_TIMEOUT:60

Yet lynx does not seem to be timing out after 60 seconds.

My question is by using the system() command to summon lynx could that
be somehow overriding the connect_timeout setting?

Thanks for any help or insights in advance.

Tad McClellan

Dan Johnson said:
It has been my habit, for some time now , to use lynx; called through
the Perl system() command; to grab web pages for processing. The LWP
module would probably do a better job; yet old habits are hard to
break. That said; my old habit is not doing the job for me at the ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
moment.

A perfect reason to break your old habit!

Does it work when you use LWP::* ?

Dan Johnson

Tad said:
A perfect reason to break your old habit!

Does it work when you use LWP::* ?

Yep. There was a learning curve; yet it looks like my old habit may have
been broken. Thanks for pushing me into rehab, Tad, :)