When will we see a One-click win32 installer for Ruby 1.9?

Abraham Vionas

It seems from what I can find that compiling Ruby 1.9 on windows is a
complicated endeavor, mostly because it's developed in a Unix(?)
enviroment and so some things have to be modified to work correctly on
windows. Regardless of whether or not this is the case, it is far more
accessible (Ruby 1.9) if it's available in a Windows installer form. I
see a couple different projects out there which are oriented towards
providing Ruby Windows Binaries, but their *newest* development
snapshots are from May 2004. That doesn't seem to me to probably be
current with the current development snapshots of 1.9.

Anyway, it'd be nice to know if this is in the works, or if the
project people are just planning to skip 1.9 and do 2.0 when it comes
out... but 2.0 won't probably surface in any shape or form until... at
least the middle of 2005 (if not the end?).

Regards, Abe

Austin Ziegler

It seems from what I can find that compiling Ruby 1.9 on windows is a
complicated endeavor, mostly because it's developed in a Unix(?)
enviroment and so some things have to be modified to work correctly on
windows. Regardless of whether or not this is the case, it is far more
accessible (Ruby 1.9) if it's available in a Windows installer form. I
see a couple different projects out there which are oriented towards
providing Ruby Windows Binaries, but their *newest* development
snapshots are from May 2004. That doesn't seem to me to probably be
current with the current development snapshots of 1.9.

Anyway, it'd be nice to know if this is in the works, or if the
project people are just planning to skip 1.9 and do 2.0 when it comes
out... but 2.0 won't probably surface in any shape or form until... at
least the middle of 2005 (if not the end?).

Well, the biggest issues is that 1.9 has not been officially released
yet. Thus, from day-to-day, the functionality of 1.9 may change, and
it would be problematic if people started using Ruby 1.9 on a common
basis, because it's unstable.

Ruby 1.8.2 will be released soon, I think, and will be updated at that point.

-austin

Matt Mower

Ruby 1.8.2 will be released soon, I think, and will be updated at that point.

I used the One-Click-Installer and I seem to have 1.8.2 already...

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-07-29) [i386-mswin32]

Regards,

Matt

gabriele renzi

Matt Mower ha scritto:
Ruby 1.8.2 will be released soon, I think, and will be updated at that point.

I used the One-Click-Installer and I seem to have 1.8.2 already...

C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-07-29) [i386-mswin32]

yes, but it's a release candidate, some bugs may (are) still be there.

Austin Ziegler

Ruby 1.8.2 will be released soon, I think, and will be updated at that point.
I used the One-Click-Installer and I seem to have 1.8.2 already...
C:\Documents and Settings\Matt>ruby -v
ruby 1.8.2 (2004-07-29) [i386-mswin32]

Right, but it's 1.8.2 preview 2, not 1.8.2 final.

-austin