where credit card number go?

charly

Hello,
and sorry for the stupid question. When a user submit
an order form in an e-commerce site that include
credit card number (and other confidential data),
where data are sent to? A bank? A webmaster?

An order form is an e-mail link, or what?

Barry White

Posting questions like this in a java forum will only annoy people. It
has little to do with Java, or Javascript for that matter.

It depends how the site has been built I would imagine (If your really
unlucky your details will be emailed to some criminal!). I suggest you
do some searching on emcommerce security, or go to somewhere like PayPal
and read there:
http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_security-center-outside

Matt Parker

charly said:
Hello,
and sorry for the stupid question. When a user submit
an order form in an e-commerce site that include
credit card number (and other confidential data),
where data are sent to? A bank? A webmaster?

An order form is an e-mail link, or what?

I did this a while back. Basically the form is submitted to your server
which then makes a secure connection to a credit card clearing agency (in
my case Firepay). The response from the clearing agency tells you whether
the transaction was successful, and you then process the order accordingly.

Matt

Tony Morris

charly said:
Hello,
and sorry for the stupid question. When a user submit
an order form in an e-commerce site that include
credit card number (and other confidential data),
where data are sent to? A bank? A webmaster?

An order form is an e-mail link, or what?

I know where credit card number go!
It go to my Inbox, then I process it, ok.

--
Tony Morris
(BInfTech, Cert 3 I.T.)

Sudsy

charly said:
Hello,
and sorry for the stupid question. When a user submit
an order form in an e-commerce site that include
credit card number (and other confidential data),
where data are sent to? A bank? A webmaster?

An order form is an e-mail link, or what?

I was waiting for others to reply first. With an invalid e-mail
posting address and a questionable query, I wanted to sit on
the side-lines at first.
If the OP wants to fully understand the processing model then
the question will have to be rephrased. On the e-commerce sites
I administer, the credit card information is not stored locally
(security exposure) but processed real-time by authorize.net.
I run multiple loggers on the back-end system (inaccessible from
the 'net), including a floppy disk (mounted write-only).
No information is EVER conveyed in plain-text via SMTP or any
other transport mechanism. Further, no "durable" (see ACID
definition) data is ever retained on my front-line servers.
When properly designed and implemented, e-commerce sites can
be more secure than "no-name" ATMs.
YMMV