    search problem but I cant find any..

    thanks !

    Jasper
    Jasper, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Jasper

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth (Jasper):
    > Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
    > one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
    > search problem but I cant find any..

    Try

    http://www.google.com/
    http://search.cpan.org/
    http://jobs.perl.org/

    Request for pre-written scripts are not welcome here. If you wish to
    write your own and get stuck, we will be happy to help you.

    Ben

    --
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. I will face my fear and
    I will let it pass through me. When the fear is gone there will be
    Ben Morrow, Oct 25, 2004

  3. Jasper wrote:

    > Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
    > one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
    > search problem but I cant find any..
    >
    > thanks !
    >
    > Jasper

    Most are in php but you can try
    http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8&q=perl shopping cart

    I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
    flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
    html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
    site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
    While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, Oct 25, 2004
  4. Jasper

    Sam Holden Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:45:45 +1000, Gregory Toomey <> wrote:
    > Jasper wrote:
    >
    >> Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
    >> one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
    >> search problem but I cant find any..
    >>
    >> thanks !
    >>
    >> Jasper

    > Most are in php but you can try
    > http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8&q=perl shopping cart
    >
    > I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
    > flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
    > html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
    > site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
    > While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

    And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
    benefit the C program might bring?

    --
    Sam Holden
    Sam Holden, Oct 25, 2004
  5. Sam Holden wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:45:45 +1000, Gregory Toomey <>
    > wrote:
    >> Jasper wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
    >>> one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
    >>> search problem but I cant find any..
    >>>
    >>> thanks !
    >>>
    >>> Jasper

    >> Most are in php but you can try
    >> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8&q=perl shopping cart
    >>
    >> I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
    >> flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
    >> html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
    >> site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
    >> While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

    > And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
    > benefit the C program might bring?

    - The Perl part takes around 160 msec (140 msec for compilation, 20 msec
    writing to stdout) & includes html whitespace removal
    - fork on modern Linux/unix is < 1 msec
    - logon to mysql from C is 3 msec, though I dont do that (yet).
    - the C program is optimised (-O2 in gcc) & staticly linked
    - Also some versions of Apache insist on generating a "Content Length" in
    the header (eg Apache in Redhat 9) which means they run the cgi & buffer
    stdout, calculate the content length, then send everything back to the
    browser. Recent versions of Apache send content back to the browser as soon
    as the cgi generates to stdout.

    This whole process is designed to start sending content back to the browser
    a few milliseconds after it hits the server.

    I've written about related issues at:
    http://gregorytoomey.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=2&Itemid=2

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, Oct 25, 2004
  6. Jasper

    Sam Holden Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:35:16 +1000, Gregory Toomey <> wrote:
    > Sam Holden wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 15:45:45 +1000, Gregory Toomey <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> Most are in php but you can try
    >>> http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF8&q=perl shopping cart
    >>>
    >>> I'm writing a shopping cart of my own at the moment, & you get lots of
    >>> flexibility with Perl. For example, I've got a C program that prints the
    >>> html headers/logo/sidebar menu to stdout in about 1 msec (I want a speedy
    >>> site like www.eyo.com.au ), and them Perl generates the rest of the html.
    >>> While this may be possible with php, its easy & logical in Perl.

    >> And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
    >> benefit the C program might bring?
    >>

    > - The Perl part takes around 160 msec (140 msec for compilation, 20 msec
    > writing to stdout) & includes html whitespace removal

    So the C program isn't being run from the perl script then? Since
    otherwise it'd take 140 msec before it got started anyway.

    Whatever is doing "run C program, run perl program" will be
    able to do "run C program, run php program" or
    "run C program, run python program". So I can't see how
    perl is involved in making it "easy & logical".

    --
    Sam Holden
    Sam Holden, Oct 25, 2004
  7. Sam Holden wrote:

    > On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 16:35:16 +1000, Gregory Toomey <>
    > wrote:
    >> Sam Holden wrote:

    >>> And the time taken to fork a process doesn't swamp any speed
    >>> benefit the C program might bring?
    >>>

    >> - The Perl part takes around 160 msec (140 msec for compilation, 20 msec
    >> writing to stdout) & includes html whitespace removal

    > So the C program isn't being run from the perl script then? Since
    > otherwise it'd take 140 msec before it got started anyway.
    >
    > Whatever is doing "run C program, run perl program" will be
    > able to do "run C program, run php program" or
    > "run C program, run python program". So I can't see how
    > perl is involved in making it "easy & logical".

    Yes, there is another small wrapper around this, which add a few msec. I may
    roll this into the other C program.

    The "easy and logical" bit is in comparison to the alternatives - mod Perl,
    php, Java servlets (yuk - slow). The easy bit is that it can be run from
    the command line, which can't be underestimated. Tweaking/testing is easy
    if you can run you cgi from the command line.

    gtoomey
    Gregory Toomey, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Jasper

    Jasper Guest

    Ben Morrow <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Quoth (Jasper):
    > > Hi building an ecommerce website here, is there anywhere on the web
    > > one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
    > > search problem but I cant find any..

    > Try
    >
    > http://www.google.com/
    > http://search.cpan.org/
    > http://jobs.perl.org/
    >
    > Request for pre-written scripts are not welcome here. If you wish to
    > write your own and get stuck, we will be happy to help you.
    >
    > Ben

    So where are they welcome Mr. Ben ? Are you the new moderator ?
    Jasper, Oct 27, 2004
  9. Jasper <> wrote:
    > Ben Morrow <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> Quoth (Jasper):

    >> > is there anywhere on the web
    >> > one can download the perl source for a basic one ? Its probably a
    >> > search problem but I cant find any..

    >> Request for pre-written scripts are not welcome here.

    > Are you the new moderator ?

    Are you the new asshole?

    *plonk*

    --