    (Of course, I prefer Java programming, but if another language is more
    appropriate, just point me at the appropriate discussion forum.)

    Thanks in advance.

    xarax, Nov 25, 2003

  2. xarax

    VK Guest

    If you need a quick-n-easy solution, I would use pocket browser on the
    PDA side and a http server in the central location.
    Each modern PDA has a browser built-in, and each of these browsers
    supports XML. So your server would accept standard http requests and
    serve them in XML format for dynamic page updates.
    (or even hell on XML, just html / ssl with page update on each request)

    If you love Java too much (or if you need to sign off the provided
    founding ;-) then you may start with J2ME (at java.sun.com)

    IMHO PDA's are way too "fat" for J2ME, it's really for stuff like cell
    phones or "intelli-microwaves".
    Same time PDA's are a bit too slim for full size Java IMHO

    VK, Nov 25, 2003

  3. xarax

    Anton Spaans Guest

    As an example, take a look at Nokia's Developers programs:

    http://www.forum.nokia.com/

    Here you can find a lot about J2ME programming and Symbian (C++ /OPL)
    programming for cell-phones. You can download free IDEs and SDKs,
    phone-emulators and such to start programming. Developer forums on this site
    can help as well.

    Other mobile phone manufacturers probably have similar sites.

    java.sun.com has some usefull links and info about J2ME as well.

    -- Anton.

    "xarax" <> wrote in message
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I am looking at an opportunity to get into wireless programming for PDA's
    > talking to a central database, for field engineers to communicate with the

    home

    Anton Spaans, Nov 25, 2003
  4. xarax wrote:

    > I am looking at an opportunity to get into wireless programming for PDA's
    > talking to a central database, for field engineers to communicate with the
    > home office. Where should I start learning about wireless programming?
    > (Of course, I prefer Java programming, but if another language is more
    > appropriate, just point me at the appropriate discussion forum.)

    If you include mobiles in with PDAs (such as the Sony Ericsson P800/P900)
    then you could definitely use the MIDP and servlets to do the work. Check
    ou the J2ME FAQ <http://mcpierce.mypage.org/j2mefaq.html> for information
    on how to get started with the MIDP.

    --
    Darryl L. Pierce <>
    Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

    Darryl L. Pierce, Nov 26, 2003
  5. VK wrote:

    > IMHO PDA's are way too "fat" for J2ME, it's really for stuff like cell
    > phones or "intelli-microwaves".

    What is this opinion based on? You do realize that J2ME is not a techology
    itself, but is an umbrella term used to refer to technologies for cell
    phones (the MIDP), PDAs (Personal Profile), embedded devices (Foundation
    Profile, Personal Basis Profile) and other smaller-than-desktop platforms?

    > Same time PDA's are a bit too slim for full size Java IMHO

    Then it's a good thing J2ME covers them with the Personal Profile...

    Darryl L. Pierce, Nov 26, 2003