Where, how to get started with wireless programming?

xarax

Greetings,

I am looking at an opportunity to get into wireless programming for PDA's
talking to a central database, for field engineers to communicate with the home
office. Where should I start learning about wireless programming?
(Of course, I prefer Java programming, but if another language is more
appropriate, just point me at the appropriate discussion forum.)

Thanks in advance.

VK

If you need a quick-n-easy solution, I would use pocket browser on the
PDA side and a http server in the central location.
Each modern PDA has a browser built-in, and each of these browsers
supports XML. So your server would accept standard http requests and
serve them in XML format for dynamic page updates.
(or even hell on XML, just html / ssl with page update on each request)

If you love Java too much (or if you need to sign off the provided
founding ;-) then you may start with J2ME (at java.sun.com)

IMHO PDA's are way too "fat" for J2ME, it's really for stuff like cell
phones or "intelli-microwaves".
Same time PDA's are a bit too slim for full size Java IMHO

Anton Spaans

As an example, take a look at Nokia's Developers programs:

http://www.forum.nokia.com/

Here you can find a lot about J2ME programming and Symbian (C++ /OPL)
programming for cell-phones. You can download free IDEs and SDKs,
phone-emulators and such to start programming. Developer forums on this site
can help as well.

Other mobile phone manufacturers probably have similar sites.

java.sun.com has some usefull links and info about J2ME as well.

-- Anton.

Darryl L. Pierce

xarax said:
I am looking at an opportunity to get into wireless programming for PDA's
talking to a central database, for field engineers to communicate with the
home office. Where should I start learning about wireless programming?
(Of course, I prefer Java programming, but if another language is more
appropriate, just point me at the appropriate discussion forum.)

If you include mobiles in with PDAs (such as the Sony Ericsson P800/P900)
then you could definitely use the MIDP and servlets to do the work. Check
ou the J2ME FAQ <http://mcpierce.mypage.org/j2mefaq.html> for information
on how to get started with the MIDP.

Darryl L. Pierce

VK said:
IMHO PDA's are way too "fat" for J2ME, it's really for stuff like cell
phones or "intelli-microwaves".

What is this opinion based on? You do realize that J2ME is not a techology
itself, but is an umbrella term used to refer to technologies for cell
phones (the MIDP), PDAs (Personal Profile), embedded devices (Foundation
Profile, Personal Basis Profile) and other smaller-than-desktop platforms?
Same time PDA's are a bit too slim for full size Java IMHO

Then it's a good thing J2ME covers them with the Personal Profile...