Where is Java's cache stored in WinXP?

Ramon F Herrera

Java 6 for Windows includes a very annoying and longstanding bug with
two symptoms:

- You cannot run anything related to JNLP.

- Every time you connect to a web site, you get a message about
"Upgrading Java applet cache". This is done again, and again and
again, and it takes a long time:

http://patriot.net/~ramon/Java-Bugs.png

After trying to find the solution in several forums (including this
one) a reader told me that he may have discovered a workaround
accidentally. He duplicated his account, creating a new user and
copying only some files to the new account. At least problem 2 went
away. Not sure about the other one, as I am expecting his reply.

So the question is: where are the user's Java-related files stored? It
seems that all I have to do is remove some (which?) of those files
which will -hopefully!- be recreated.

Naturally, I'd like to make sure that I remove only the minimum files
required to solve the problem.

-Ramon

[...]

More details here:

http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5196686&messageID=10034332#10034332

-RFH

[...]

This is the bug in question:

-RFH

Ramon F Herrera

seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/jnlp.html
for what you have to do to support JNLP

Sun is being prissy by not setting this up automatically.

Roedy:

The resources you pointed to are very valuable, and they have been
duly noted, but this seems to be a problem of a corrupted cache. My
two PCs were afflicted by it. My solution was to remove everything
under:

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Sun\Java
\Deployment

That folder had almost 500 MB in it - I hope I didn't break
anything. :-\

-Ramon