Where Start with Java???

fssm2666

Hi everyone.... after all, sorry for my english, but it's good as I
can...

I'm working a few years programming with PHP, JavaScript and some code
lines against a database (Sql Server, MySQL, Oracle...).

But, where starting with Java? I know the basics about the sintax,
class handling, etc. Maybe a year ago I'm working in a web application
with Java (JSP+Servlets... nothing with Struts / JSF), but I couldn't
say that I KNOW java.

Every week go to the official Java site (java.sun.com), but sometimes
it's too much to learn..... again, where I can start?

thanks.

felipe s.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

fssm2666 said:
Hi everyone.... after all, sorry for my english, but it's good as I
can...

I'm working a few years programming with PHP, JavaScript and some code
lines against a database (Sql Server, MySQL, Oracle...).

But, where starting with Java? I know the basics about the sintax,
class handling, etc. Maybe a year ago I'm working in a web application
with Java (JSP+Servlets... nothing with Struts / JSF), but I couldn't
say that I KNOW java.

Every week go to the official Java site (java.sun.com), but sometimes
it's too much to learn..... again, where I can start?

Start like me, with a real need.
It certainly provides focus and motivation.
I downloaded Netbeans and off I went...

--
Dirk

etienno

seehttp://mindprod.com/jgloss/gettingstarted.html
--
Roedy Green Canadian Mind Productshttp://mindprod.com

"Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we’ve been ignorant of their value."
~ Richard Buckminster (Bucky) Fuller

You see/can download the "Thinking in Java" ebook 3rd edition for
free, it is covering the jdk1.4, that's good enough for a starter.
http://jamesthornton.com/eckel/TIJ-3rd-edition4.0/TIJ3.htm

This is the book I started with 10 years ago. I don't regret it...
even if I didn't finis it :).

Lew

etienno said:
You see/can download the "Thinking in Java" ebook 3rd edition for

This book doesn't really live up to its name. It comes up with its
own idioms that really don't sit all that well with Java.
free, it is covering the jdk1.4, that's good enough for a starter

I beg to differ. There are important differences between Java 1.4 and
later versions.

The tutorials at java.sun.com and the mindprod.com site, referenced
upthread, are much better for getting started. The JavaPassion site
is also highly recommended by folks around here.

Also, DeveloperWorks at ibm.com is an excellent resource.
This is the book I started with 10 years ago. I don't regret it...
even if I didn't finis it :).

Have you looked at other books since? How do they compare?