where to begin

Discussion in 'Java' started by raptor, Jun 21, 2005.

  1. raptor

    raptor Guest

    hi,

    I already wrote some simple java stuff both with text editor and with
    NetBeans IDE.
    I already know other languages and overally the language Java is clear
    to me..
    Now what I want is to be able to get quickly to the Java-Framework, so
    I need yout advices on :

    1. Which IDE to use ? I would like this IDE to have completion, context
    help about the objects/methods/proprietes (not to hunt one hour in
    google to find that MesssageBox can be shown with
    JOptionPane.showMessageDialog() :"), which newscomer can figure this
    one :")) and all similar stuff . (netbeans seems to have it, but I dont
    know which is required package that contains the Java documentation so
    that it is avaible inside the IDE/gentoo/)
    2. I would like to be able to make apache/Tomcat and JBoss apps.
    3. A way to deploy standalone app w/ all depencities..

    (i'm more comfortable with pure text editor, but for speedy learning of
    the object framwork I will have to use IDE)
    afaik netbeans can do most of these things, i'm newscommer here.. and
    wanted to learn more about alternatives and pros/cons of them.
    I'm primary talking about Linux.

    so what are your advices , tia
    raptor, Jun 21, 2005

  2. Which version of netbeans are you using?

    Michael Preminger, Jun 21, 2005

  3. raptor

    raptor Guest

    currently i tried 3.5 and 3.6.
    Also I emrged 4.0-r1 but it was going in infinite loop after starting
    it or when I select FINISH on New Project.
    That is why I downgraded to 3.6
    raptor, Jun 21, 2005
  4. raptor

    raptor Guest

    oops I also forgot to ask which JDK to use... i'm currently with
    blackdown-jdk is it good..
    raptor, Jun 21, 2005