Which CDO.Message Charset Should I Use?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Chris, Oct 13, 2005.

  1. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Hi,

    I am relatively new to using CDO.Message, and I desperately need some
    help!

    I have an ASP 3.0 application that uses CDO to send automatic alerts
    through Exchange 2003. How do I determine which charset to use for the
    objMessage.BodyPart.CharSet?

    The users of this application typically enter the HTMLBody message
    through a form's textarea box. Often, they might cut and paste this
    data from a MS Word file, which plays havoc on the message whenever
    special characters are encountered, such as smart quotes, em dashes,
    vulgar fractions and degree symbols.

    Initially I tried the Replace function to exchange these characters for
    their html counterparts; however, this appears not to affect the
    CDO.message.

    I have also tried the following with no success:
    objMessage.BodyPart.CharSet = "us-ascii"
    objMessage.BodyPart.CharSet = "utf-8"
    objMessage.BodyPart.CharSet = "windows-1252"

    Should I think about changing the charset in my General.asp page from
    <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=unicode"> to
    something else?

    I could really use some direction here to get this figured out. Thanks
    in advance for any assistance you can offer!

    Chris
    Chris, Oct 13, 2005