Which is better: JMS or JMX?

Discussion in 'Java' started by DaveB, Oct 21, 2004.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Hello fellow developers,

    I'm in the process of designing a java application that will interact with a
    leagacy system written in C/C++. The legacy system uses a publish/subscribe
    messaging architecture to notify applications when certain events occur. I
    am trying to decide between two options: the first is to build a JMS
    compliant interface over the legacy system, the other is to use JMX
    notifications. Both options will require a fair amount of JNI coding so the
    complexity of the two should be about the same. The only extra concern I
    have is if I provide a JMS interface then I would be obliged to conform to
    the standard, and hence increase development time.

    I was wondering if you can think of any other options I should consider?
    Also, are there any suggestions as to which option might be the more stable?

    BTW, I'm more a C/C++ programmer than Java, so feel free to include even the
    simplest options, I've probably overlooked them!

    Thanks for taking the time to look at this,
    Dave B.

    DaveB, Oct 21, 2004

  2. DaveB

    m0smith Guest

    In article <JYGdd.54448$>, DaveB wrote:
    > Hello fellow developers,
    >
    > I'm in the process of designing a java application that will interact with a
    > leagacy system written in C/C++. The legacy system uses a publish/subscribe
    > messaging architecture to notify applications when certain events occur. I

    <snip>

    JMS is the way to go for the situation you described. By conforming to
    the standard, you do get some benefits like guaranteed delivery and
    scalabilty. JMS is quite simple to program to so I wouldn't let learning
    it overwhelm you.

    JMX is a monitoring spec, not a publish/subscribe spec. You could beat it
    into a publish/subscribe model but that is more what JMS is supposed to do
    for you.

    --
    m0smith

    m0smith, Oct 21, 2004