    addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
    while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.

    Thank you very much.
    Shawn, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Re: Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe orjoin?

    Hi,

    I understand that subscribing to a magazine can be a bit indimidating
    when one has little or no experience of reading. To overcome your fear,
    I suggest that you buy a magazine at a newsstand and try reading it in
    the train. Begin with one magazine per month (a monthly is adequate to
    this aim--how about a magazine about Java programming?), then one per
    week (Newsweek for instance). In no Time at all you'll be buying and
    reading your magazines in the train very naturally. Just then you'll
    feel at ease to consider a subscription.

    Arnost Sobota, Nov 6, 2006

  3. Re: Which magazine or membership you recommend me to subscribe orjoin?

    Shawn wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > My company benefits include certain amount of money each year for
    > joining membership or subscribing magazines. Could you give me some
    > recommendations?
    >
    > I am a commuter. So reading magazines in a train is very good for me. In
    > addition, I found that printed material is more quality-guaranteed,
    > while googled material sometimes is too many, and quality varies.
    >
    > Thank you very much.

    I don't think reading magazines on trains is a particularly good way to
    learn about programming, because it is difficult to try things out.

    Your choice of magazine should depend on what you want to learn about next:

    1. Computing in general: IEEE Computer, Communications of the ACM.

    2. Some specialized computing fields - pick a field, and search the ACM
    and IEEE web sites to pick a publication and/or special interest group.

    3. The business of the users of your programs - find out what the users
    read. If you are writing programs that are used e.g. by accountants, it
    can be very useful to learn some accounting jargon and what accountants
    care about. You do need to look at some examples to make sure the
    material is not too technical in the users' specialty.

    Patricia
    Patricia Shanahan, Nov 6, 2006