    their distributio instead of the 'normal' one ?

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Apr 9, 2004

  2. Fuzzyman

    Andrei Guest

    Fuzzyman wrote on 9 Apr 2004 01:25:45 -0700:

    > Again... a silly newbie question which might have an obvious
    > answer.... but *why* is their an alternative distribution of python by
    > activestate ?
    >
    > Apart fromt he fact that they bundle Mark Hammond's Windows Extensions
    > with it (in the windows version) - what is to be gained from using
    > their distributio instead of the 'normal' one ?

    You also get PythonWin and nice docs. Python might have good HTMLHelp
    format docs by now as well, but last time I tried, there were many broken
    things in it. At some point I was running an official Py2.3<something>
    because ActiveState was a bit slow in releasing a 2.3 version, but I
    continued to use the docs from ActiveState Py 2.2.X. Now I have their 2.3.2
    distribution installed.

    Apart from that, it's Python. Depending on what your usage pattern is, you
    might not even notice what you have on your HD.

    --
    Yours,

    Andrei

    =====
    Real contact info (decode with rot13):
    . Fcnz-serr! Cyrnfr qb abg hfr va choyvp cbfgf. V ernq
    gur yvfg, fb gurer'f ab arrq gb PP.
    Andrei, Apr 9, 2004

  3. Fuzzyman

    simo Guest

    It's a bloody site easier to install on Solaris if you don't have root
    access.

    Unfortunately, the same doesn't seem to go for Windows - the official
    one seems easier to install without Admin access.
    simo, Apr 9, 2004
  4. Fuzzyman

    asdf sdf Guest

    Fuzzyman wrote:
    > Again... a silly newbie question which might have an obvious
    > answer.... but *why* is their an alternative distribution of python by
    > activestate ?
    >
    > Apart fromt he fact that they bundle Mark Hammond's Windows Extensions
    > with it (in the windows version) - what is to be gained from using
    > their distributio instead of the 'normal' one ?
    >
    > Regards,
    >

    > Fuzzy
    >
    > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html

    i think there is an impression generally that Win32 is a harder build
    platform for OSS projects than Linux-Unix. Very unscientifically, I
    think my reading of message boards supports that, at least for Apache,
    Python, and their related modules.

    I've never tried to build it myself.

    The activestate distribution includes Help files in compiled html
    format. Which I do not prefer. I just download the doc of interest
    from the python site.
    asdf sdf, Apr 9, 2004
  5. Fuzzyman

    Fuzzyman Guest

    [snip..]
    > > Fuzzy
    > >
    > > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html

    > i think there is an impression generally that Win32 is a harder build
    > platform for OSS projects than Linux-Unix. Very unscientifically, I
    > think my reading of message boards supports that, at least for Apache,
    > Python, and their related modules.
    >
    > I've never tried to build it myself.
    >
    > The activestate distribution includes Help files in compiled html
    > format. Which I do not prefer. I just download the doc of interest
    > from the python site.

    The 'official' version also has docs in 'chm' format... which I
    personally find fine (particularly not having internet at home).

    Regards,

    Fuzzy

    Fuzzyman, Apr 10, 2004
  6. Fuzzyman

    bobb Guest

    "Fuzzyman" <> wrote in message
    > [snip..]
    > > > Fuzzy
    > > >
    > > > http://www.voidspace.org.uk/atlantibots/pythonutils.html

    > > i think there is an impression generally that Win32 is a harder build
    > > platform for OSS projects than Linux-Unix. Very unscientifically, I
    > > think my reading of message boards supports that, at least for Apache,
    > > Python, and their related modules.
    > >
    > > I've never tried to build it myself.
    > >
    > > The activestate distribution includes Help files in compiled html
    > > format. Which I do not prefer. I just download the doc of interest
    > > from the python site.

    > The 'official' version also has docs in 'chm' format... which I
    > personally find fine (particularly not having internet at home).

    I have a heck of time with searching through the chm file w/ it , though.
    (too many results).

    bobb, Apr 11, 2004
  7. In article <>,
    Andrei <> wrote:
    >Fuzzyman wrote on 9 Apr 2004 01:25:45 -0700:
    >
    >> Again... a silly newbie question which might have an obvious
    >> answer.... but *why* is their an alternative distribution of python by
    >> activestate ?
    >>
    >> Apart fromt he fact that they bundle Mark Hammond's Windows Extensions
    >> with it (in the windows version) - what is to be gained from using
    >> their distributio instead of the 'normal' one ?

    >You also get PythonWin and nice docs. Python might have good HTMLHelp
    >format docs by now as well, but last time I tried, there were many broken
    >things in it. At some point I was running an official Py2.3<something>
    >because ActiveState was a bit slow in releasing a 2.3 version, but I
    >continued to use the docs from ActiveState Py 2.2.X. Now I have their 2.3.2
    >distribution installed.
    >
    >Apart from that, it's Python. Depending on what your usage pattern is, you
    >might not even notice what you have on your HD.

    .
    .
    .
    I'm not sure what kind of an answer the original questioner is
    after. It's a fact, though, that some organizations (still!)
    only understand "commercial" products. Developers and admini-
    strators in such organizations simply are allowed no access to
    standard Python; they're able to get on with their work only
    because of the availability of ActiveState Python.
    --

    Cameron Laird <>
    Business: http://www.Phaseit.net
    Cameron Laird, Apr 15, 2004
  8. Cameron Laird wrote:
    > after. It's a fact, though, that some organizations (still!)
    > only understand "commercial" products. Developers and admini-

    I suspect it's rather
    - ActiveState wants to sell support for Python
    - they only want to support specific releases and packages: those they built
    and tested themselves

    Daniel
    Daniel Dittmar, Apr 15, 2004