Why ASP.NET can not handle file contains ~ in its name? thanks!

davidw

I found I can access static file in my IIS folder that have ~ in their file
name, but I have no way to let httphandler to handle such request, for
example, http://mydomain/test.aspx returns 401, but
http://mydomain/test~.aspx returns

File names for monitoring must have absolute paths, and no wildcards.

could anyone tell me why it acts like that?

Thanks!

clintonG

People use the tilde so their file or directory will sort to the top and now
their little trick is biting back. I've even done the same myself. Simply
rename the file without the tilde. Hello? ;-)

The tilde is used in ASP.NET as the 'root path' character [1] and has its
history in *nix file systems.

<%= Clinton Gallagher
NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com
URL http://metromilwaukee.com/