Why does this not work in IE8?

dorayme

Jim S said:
This page works perfectly in Firefox and Opera.
Why do the buttons do nothing in IE8?
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_picture_sites/morephotos_button_test.html

Your links are like:

An unusual thing to do! Try hiding the input from IE and using instead
plain text.

(btw, you have some 'funny' or extraneous characters that should not be
present in your CSS sheet. You should be able to see them in a good text
editor. You can see them if you use FF and the Web Developer extension
and go to Edit CSS.

Your

/* main table */

should be

/* main table */

Or sometimes, it can appear as

/* main table */

when coaxed out from your server and cut and pasted.

This makes a difference to some non-IE browsers in some circumstances.
Removing these allows the content to spread out and centre. The presence
of these characters makes all the content keep to the top left.)

Jim S

[...]

If you followed the links further from the test page you will see that
usually I use the 'buttonize' part of the stylesheet to create buttons with
links, however I was playing with trying to get the buttons to look like
the silver buttons in windows applications and I thought I had done it
until IE failed.
I don't really understand your bit about hiding ......... plain text.
If you would be kind enough to convert the line you quoted into what you
think it should be, I would be grateful.

As for the funny symbols: I got rid of them, but why they were there I
don't know. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

dorayme

Jim S said:

If you followed the links further from the test page you will see that
usually I use the 'buttonize' part of the stylesheet to create buttons with
links, however I was playing with trying to get the buttons to look like
the silver buttons in windows applications and I thought I had done it
until IE failed.

I am sorry, Jim, I should really have said something like:

Rather than

value="Aerial photos of the region"></a></td>

consider:

..3em;">photos of the region</a></td>

and have an easier life.

If you want rounded corners, you can, but what a fiddle!

Jim S

<a style="background: #fff; padding: .05em .3em .05em
.3em;">photos of the region</a>

Sorry dorayme, but I'm obviously not making myself clear.
I can do all that button stuff with my buttonize CSS. It is the windows
type silver button I am aiming for ie. the one that 'input' gives me if
the viewer does not use IE.

dorayme

Jim S said:
Sorry dorayme, but I'm obviously not making myself clear.
I can do all that button stuff with my buttonize CSS. It is the windows
type silver button I am aiming for ie. the one that 'input' gives me if
the viewer does not use IE.

Oh, OK. They don't look so silvery to me on my browsers but if you have
CSS to match them in some way, perhaps a background gradient will give
you the effect you want? Just a thought...

Jim S

Oh, OK. They don't look so silvery to me on my browsers but if you have
CSS to match them in some way, perhaps a background gradient will give
you the effect you want? Just a thought...

That's the point. I don't want to 'construct' a button.
The original page
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_picture_sites/morephotos_button_test.html
works perfectly well in Firefox and Opera and looks how I would like but it
doesn't work in IE.
I wondered why and could I make it work in IE.
My current version of this page is
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_picture_sites/morephotos.html and
although I am fairly happy with it I fancy the other type of buttons and I
don't want to construct them since they already exist. I fancy I'm peeing
into the wind. <g>

BootNic

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:48:07 GMT
Jim S said:
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 18:19:07 +1000, dorayme wrote:
[snip]

Sorry dorayme, but I'm obviously not making myself clear. I
can do all that button stuff with my buttonize CSS. It is the
windows type silver button I am aiming for ie. the one that
'input' gives me if the viewer does not use IE.

Oh, OK. They don't look so silvery to me on my browsers but
if you have CSS to match them in some way, perhaps a background
gradient will give you the effect you want? Just a thought...

That's the point. I don't want to 'construct' a button. The
original page
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_picture_sites/morephotos_butt
on_test.html works perfectly well in Firefox and Opera and looks
how I would like but it doesn't work in IE.

I wondered why and could I make it work in IE. My current
version of this page is
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_picture_sites/morephotos.html
and although I am fairly happy with it I fancy the other type of
buttons and I don't want to construct them since they already
exist. I fancy I'm peeing into the wind. <g>

Why would you want to wrap a input submit in a anchor rather the a form?

Using a input type submit for a link would be done in a form. Style the
form to remove the margins if you wish: form { margin: 0; }

Further if you would choose to remove the extra padding IE may add:
form a input { overflow: visible; padding: 0 0.3em; }

<form method="post" action="http://www.example.com">
"example dot com"></a>
</form>

--
BootNic Sun Jun 28, 2009 02:09 pm
Curious things, habits. People themselves never knew they had them.

Jonathan N. Little

Jim said:
That's the point. I don't want to 'construct' a button.
The original page
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_picture_sites/morephotos_button_test.html
works perfectly well in Firefox and Opera and looks how I would like but it
doesn't work in IE.
I wondered why and could I make it work in IE.
My current version of this page is
http://www.jimscot.myby.co.uk/Other_picture_sites/morephotos.html and
although I am fairly happy with it I fancy the other type of buttons and I
don't want to construct them since they already exist. I fancy I'm peeing
into the wind. <g>

Looks like a bad idea all around.

<head>

<title>Which Way?</title>

</head>

<form action="this.html" method="get">
</form>

Seamonkey1 A => that.html
Firefox3 A => that.html
IE8 FORM => this.html
IE7 FORM => this.html
IE6 FORM => this.html
IE5.5 FORM => this.html
IE5 FORM => this.html
Opera9.6 FORM => this.html
Opera8.4 FORM => this.html
Opera7.5 FORM => this.html
Chrome A => that.html
Netscape7.1 A => that.html
Netscape4.6 FORM => this.html
WebTV A => that.html
MSNTV A => that.html

Jim S

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 09:48:07 GMT
[...]

If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button. This then
forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen (in 1024 x 768
resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of my self-imposed brief is
that when ever possible the page does not exceed the height and width of
the screen. Of course this happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height
and not in width.

BootNic

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:21:07 GMT
[snip]

[snip]
If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button.
This then forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen
(in 1024 x 768 resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of
my self-imposed brief is that when ever possible the page does
not exceed the height and width of the screen. Of course this
happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height and not in width.

Perhaps you have not noticed my comment about the form margins.

--
BootNic Sun Jun 28, 2009 08:26 pm
A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he

BootNic

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:21:07 GMT
[snip]

[snip]
If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button.
This then forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen
(in 1024 x 768 resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of
my self-imposed brief is that when ever possible the page does
not exceed the height and width of the screen. Of course this
happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height and not in width.

Perhaps you have not noticed my comment about the form margins.

--
BootNic Sun Jun 28, 2009 09:20 pm
Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant

Jim S

On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 23:21:07 GMT
On Sun, 28 Jun 2009 14:09:49 -0400, BootNic wrote:
[snip]
Why would you want to wrap a input submit in a anchor rather
the a form?

Using a input type submit for a link would be done in a form.
Style the form to remove the margins if you wish: form { margin:
0; }
[snip]

If I use 'form' then I get a space forced below the button.
This then forces my lowest buttons off the bottom of the screen
(in 1024 x 768 resolution and below). I don't want that. Part of
my self-imposed brief is that when ever possible the page does
not exceed the height and width of the screen. Of course this
happens in 800x600, but I hope only in height and not in width.

Perhaps you have not noticed my comment about the form margins.

I didn't and that helps a lot and I'm getting where I want to be, but
(there's always a but) it is a good deal more complex than my buttonize
CSS. :0(