why is this group being spammed?

Discussion in 'Python' started by be.krul, Jul 18, 2010.

  1. be.krul

    be.krul Guest

    why is this group being spammed?
     
    be.krul, Jul 18, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. be.krul

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM, be.krul <> wrote:
    > why is this group being spammed?


    Because that's what happens in unmoderated USENET newsgroups.

    Cheers,
    Chris
     
    Chris Rebert, Jul 18, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 7/17/10 10:01 PM, be.krul wrote:
    > why is this group being spammed?


    Because while God created the Internet, the Devil twisted it by creating
    spammers.

    What do you expect? Adam just didn't pay enough attention when Eve made
    him a waldorf salad; we descendants of Seth have gone and tried to
    devour not only the knowledge of good and evil but all knowledge of all
    things, most notably breasts.

    Of course there'd be a dire consequence for our hubris.

    --

    Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai
    ... Mail: me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io
    ... Blog: http://meh.ixokai.io/


    -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
    Version: GnuPG v2.0.10 (Darwin)

    iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMQpPDAAoJEKcbwptVWx/l3f4H/2JSBrtEdcv5imz8VUNK17OC
    0FEwSC7RkEi8ozaKjX5Z6NHxeyoXT7GJ2JFlg77OQKI/XBcSobGV/eqb3D6yc+9K
    3G/w/VGkjicqeXArAS0OXsHcXW+8X8huWhFgaoP9QtIvnpWwBR4PjTqPQlb6vCl8
    kwNYscw/8+mDNUCfdKw+7iGfZzqhKJd3yXG1ItyhUmHJRjPEAaVtt2oi0YwZ3JnY
    GeyD5K2hg7SH9UOM/YaQMIDfKKq6HmE0HV0wcCryrMPmeFKf9HXGoeBH9EKQOwtv
    zt/po4mmlefGzewQfdJ7YO6ZCsECD034t5gwxGMpYtUOyunvFAyxncfHvic/Pno=
    =gOwr
    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
     
    Stephen Hansen, Jul 18, 2010
    #3
  4. * be.krul, on 18.07.2010 07:01:
    > why is this group being spammed?


    It depends a little on what you're asking, e.g. technical versus motivation.

    But I'll answer about something you probably didn't mean to ask, namely what
    human trait enables and almost forces that kind of behavior.

    And I believe it is the same trait that let hypnotists do funny TV-shows with
    quite normal folks behaving in ridiculous ways, the same trait that causes wars,
    the same trait that causes religion, the same trait that holds back science so
    that "paradigm shifts" only occur when new generations take over, a trait that
    /makes/ your feet start moving to the rhythm when you hear the right kind of
    music, and so on. Namely the instinctual drive to fit in in a social group by
    sharing that group's behavior and values. This instinct is possibly stronger
    than the sex drive, e.g., wars are seldom fought over sex ("surrender, and give
    us sex!", no, that's not it, it's "surrender, and become part of us!").

    Consider, there would be almost no spam if spamming didn't pay.

    And the only way that spam can pay is if there are at least some suckers with
    good money.

    And the only way that there can be a reasonable number of suckers of such
    monumental stupidity, who also have good money, is, as I see it, if intelligence
    and good sense is not a requirement for succeeding in society.

    But what is required, then, for succeeding in society?

    Some of it is no doubt blind chance, but I believe that the main requirement is
    simply one of fitting in, conformance. Thus, if my hypothesis is right, almost
    any idiot can rise to any level of responsibility and social standing simply by
    fitting in, conforming. This idiot then has good money and might be one of the
    suckers responding to spam.


    Cheers,

    - Alf

    --
    blog at <url: http://alfps.wordpress.com>
     
    Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet, Jul 18, 2010
    #4
  5. On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet
    <> wrote:
    > * be.krul, on 18.07.2010 07:01:
    >>
    >> why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > It depends a little on what you're asking, e.g. technical versus motivation.
    >
    > But I'll answer about something you probably didn't mean to ask, namely what
    > human trait enables and almost forces that kind of behavior.
    >
    > And I believe it is the same trait that let hypnotists do funny TV-shows
    > with quite normal folks behaving in ridiculous ways, the same trait that
    > causes wars, the same trait that causes religion, the same trait that holds
    > back science so that "paradigm shifts" only occur when new generations take
    > over, a trait that /makes/ your feet start moving to the rhythm when you
    > hear the right kind of music, and so on. Namely the instinctual drive to fit
    > in in a social group by sharing that group's behavior and values. This
    > instinct is possibly stronger than the sex drive, e.g., wars are seldom
    > fought over sex ("surrender, and give us sex!", no, that's not it, it's
    > "surrender, and become part of us!").


    Helen of Troy begs to differ.

    Geremy Condra
     
    geremy condra, Jul 18, 2010
    #5
  6. On 18.07.2010 08:09, geremy condra wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet
    > <> wrote:


    >> in in a social group by sharing that group's behavior and values. This
    >> instinct is possibly stronger than the sex drive, e.g., wars are seldom
    >> fought over sex ("surrender, and give us sex!", no, that's not it, it's
    >> "surrender, and become part of us!").

    >
    > Helen of Troy begs to differ.


    Britney Spears, too.
     
    Johannes Kleese, Jul 18, 2010
    #6
  7. be.krul

    Chris Rebert Guest

    On Sun, Jul 18, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Johannes Kleese <> wrote:
    > On 18.07.2010 08:09, geremy condra wrote:
    >> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet
    >> <> wrote:

    >
    >>> in in a social group by sharing that group's behavior and values. This
    >>> instinct is possibly stronger than the sex drive, e.g., wars are seldom
    >>> fought over sex ("surrender, and give us sex!", no, that's not it, it's
    >>> "surrender, and become part of us!").

    >>
    >> Helen of Troy begs to differ.

    >
    > Britney Spears, too.


    Sorry, which war was that again?

    Cheers,
    Chris
     
    Chris Rebert, Jul 18, 2010
    #7
  8. be.krul

    sturlamolden Guest

    On 18 Jul, 07:01, "be.krul" <> wrote:

    > why is this group being spammed?


    There used to be bots that issued cancel messages against spam, but I
    don't think they are actively maintained anymore.
     
    sturlamolden, Jul 18, 2010
    #8
  9. In article <>,
    be.krul <> wrote:
    >why is this group being spammed?


    They're *all* being spammed. Why? Because they can, and because Google
    doesn't care.

    --
    -Ed Falk,
    http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
     
    Edward A. Falk, Jul 18, 2010
    #9
  10. In article <i1u511$b34$-september.org>,
    Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet <> wrote:
    >
    >Consider, there would be almost no spam if spamming didn't pay.


    Or if ISPs refused to tolerate it from their customers.

    --
    -Ed Falk,
    http://thespamdiaries.blogspot.com/
     
    Edward A. Falk, Jul 18, 2010
    #10
  11. On 18/07/2010 23:58, Edward A. Falk wrote:
    > In article<>,
    > be.krul<> wrote:
    >> why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > They're *all* being spammed. Why? Because they can, and because Google
    > doesn't care.
    >


    I see little or nothing because I read through gmane.comp.python.general.

    Kindest regards.

    Mark Lawrence.
     
    Mark Lawrence, Jul 19, 2010
    #11
  12. be.krul

    John Bokma Guest

    "be.krul" <> writes:

    > why is this group being spammed?


    Do you report those spammers?

    While Google is extremely lazy with dealing with spammers, if sufficient
    people report them action might be taken. Also make sure to report those
    spammers with their ISP; posts via GG contain the posting IP address.

    Even trolls can be hurt, if enough people report them:
    http://www.xahlee.org/Periodic_dosage_dir/t2/harassment.html

    --
    John Bokma j3b

    Hacking & Hiking in Mexico - http://johnbokma.com/
    http://castleamber.com/ - Perl & Python Development
     
    John Bokma, Jul 19, 2010
    #12
  13. be.krul

    Nobody Guest

    On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 15:18:59 -0700, sturlamolden wrote:

    >> why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > There used to be bots that issued cancel messages against spam, but I
    > don't think they are actively maintained anymore.


    Mostly because cancel messages are invariably ignored nowadays.
     
    Nobody, Jul 19, 2010
    #13
  14. be.krul

    be.krul Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:40 pm, Stephen Hansen <me+list/> wrote:
    > On 7/17/10 10:01 PM, be.krul wrote:
    >
    > > why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > Because while God created the Internet, the Devil twisted it by creating
    > spammers.
    >
    > What do you expect? Adam just didn't pay enough attention when Eve made
    > him a waldorf salad; we descendants of Seth have gone and tried to
    > devour not only the knowledge of good and evil but all knowledge of all
    > things, most notably breasts.
    >
    > Of course there'd be a dire consequence for our hubris.
    >
    > --
    >
    >    Stephen Hansen
    >    ... Also: Ixokai
    >    ... Mail: me+list/python (AT) ixokai (DOT) io
    >    ... Blog:http://meh.ixokai.io/
    >
    >  signature.asc
    > < 1KViewDownload


    Interesting, I thought Al Gore creted Internet!?
     
    be.krul, Jul 24, 2010
    #14
  15. be.krul

    be.krul Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:09 pm, Chris Rebert <> wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM, be.krul <> wrote:
    > > why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > Because that's what happens in unmoderated USENET newsgroups.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris


    I thought this group can be moderated, but turns out this is USENET
    Group..
     
    be.krul, Jul 24, 2010
    #15
  16. be.krul

    be.krul Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:24 pm, Ben Finney <> wrote:
    > "be.krul" <> writes:
    > > why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > What kind of answer are you looking for? Are you asking about the
    > motives of spammers, or the technical explanation for how the spam
    > arrives, or something else?
    >
    > --
    >  \                   “The best ad-libs are rehearsed.” —Graham Kennedy |
    >   `\                                                                   |
    > _o__)                                                                  |
    > Ben Finney


    Why not moderate this group?
     
    be.krul, Jul 24, 2010
    #16
  17. be.krul

    be.krul Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:57 pm, "Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet" <alf.p.steinbach
    > wrote:
    > * be.krul, on 18.07.2010 07:01:
    >
    > > why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > It depends a little on what you're asking, e.g. technical versus motivation.
    >
    > But I'll answer about something you probably didn't mean to ask, namely what
    > human trait enables and almost forces that kind of behavior.
    >
    > And I believe it is the same trait that let hypnotists do funny TV-shows with
    > quite normal folks behaving in ridiculous ways, the same trait that causes wars,
    > the same trait that causes religion, the same trait that holds back science so
    > that "paradigm shifts" only occur when new generations take over, a trait that
    > /makes/ your feet start moving to the rhythm when you hear the right kind of
    > music, and so on. Namely the instinctual drive to fit in in a social group by
    > sharing that group's behavior and values. This instinct is possibly stronger
    > than the sex drive, e.g., wars are seldom fought over sex ("surrender, and give
    > us sex!", no, that's not it, it's "surrender, and become part of us!").
    >
    > Consider, there would be almost no spam if spamming didn't pay.
    >
    > And the only way that spam can pay is if there are at least some suckers with
    > good money.
    >
    > And the only way that there can be a reasonable number of suckers of such
    > monumental stupidity, who also have good money, is, as I see it, if intelligence
    > and good sense is not a requirement for succeeding in society.
    >
    > But what is required, then, for succeeding in society?
    >
    > Some of it is no doubt blind chance, but I believe that the main requirement is
    > simply one of fitting in, conformance. Thus, if my hypothesis is right, almost
    > any idiot can rise to any level of responsibility and social standing simply by
    > fitting in, conforming. This idiot then has good money and might be one of the
    > suckers responding to spam.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > - Alf
    >
    > --
    > blog at <url:http://alfps.wordpress.com>


    Alf - You re my next hero!
    Who could answer so eloquently.
     
    be.krul, Jul 24, 2010
    #17
  18. be.krul

    be.krul Guest

    On Jul 17, 10:01 pm, "be.krul" <> wrote:
    > why is this group being spammed?


    What I was asking is why not moderate the group. this is the only
    Python group I could find..
    But maybe owner of this group do no care in that case we *all* get
    spammed!
     
    be.krul, Jul 24, 2010
    #18
  19. On 07/24/2010 04:20 PM, be.krul wrote:
    > On Jul 17, 10:09 pm, Chris Rebert <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM, be.krul <> wrote:
    >>> why is this group being spammed?

    >>
    >> Because that's what happens in unmoderated USENET newsgroups.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >> Chris

    >
    > I thought this group can be moderated, but turns out this is USENET
    > Group..


    What did you think it was?
     
    Thomas Jollans, Jul 24, 2010
    #19
  20. be.krul

    be.krul Guest

    On Jul 24, 7:39 am, Thomas Jollans <> wrote:
    > On 07/24/2010 04:20 PM, be.krul wrote:
    >
    > > On Jul 17, 10:09 pm, Chris Rebert <> wrote:
    > >> On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 10:01 PM, be.krul <> wrote:
    > >>> why is this group being spammed?

    >
    > >> Because that's what happens in unmoderated USENET newsgroups.

    >
    > >> Cheers,
    > >> Chris

    >
    > > I thought this group can be moderated, but turns out this is USENET
    > > Group..

    >
    > What did you think it was?


    Because i joined from Goggle Groups and not the Usenet Client.
     
    be.krul, Jul 24, 2010
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBQYXJ0ZXI=?=

    Form still being submitted despite being invalid

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyayBQYXJ0ZXI=?=, Jul 25, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    624
  2. Mr. SweatyFinger

    why why why why why

    Mr. SweatyFinger, Nov 28, 2006, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    925
    Mark Rae
    Dec 21, 2006
  3. Mr. SweatyFinger
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,090
    Smokey Grindel
    Dec 2, 2006
  4. Replies:
    14
    Views:
    520
    John W. Kennedy
    Oct 17, 2007
  5. Moshe Katz
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    153
    Moshe Katz
    May 2, 2004
Loading...

Share This Page