why is this group being spammed?

Stephen Hansen

why is this group being spammed?

Because while God created the Internet, the Devil twisted it by creating
spammers.

What do you expect? Adam just didn't pay enough attention when Eve made
him a waldorf salad; we descendants of Seth have gone and tried to
devour not only the knowledge of good and evil but all knowledge of all
things, most notably breasts.

Of course there'd be a dire consequence for our hubris.

--

Stephen Hansen
... Also: Ixokai

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* be.krul, on 18.07.2010 07:01:
why is this group being spammed?

It depends a little on what you're asking, e.g. technical versus motivation.

But I'll answer about something you probably didn't mean to ask, namely what
human trait enables and almost forces that kind of behavior.

And I believe it is the same trait that let hypnotists do funny TV-shows with
quite normal folks behaving in ridiculous ways, the same trait that causes wars,
the same trait that causes religion, the same trait that holds back science so
that "paradigm shifts" only occur when new generations take over, a trait that
/makes/ your feet start moving to the rhythm when you hear the right kind of
music, and so on. Namely the instinctual drive to fit in in a social group by
sharing that group's behavior and values. This instinct is possibly stronger
than the sex drive, e.g., wars are seldom fought over sex ("surrender, and give
us sex!", no, that's not it, it's "surrender, and become part of us!").

Consider, there would be almost no spam if spamming didn't pay.

And the only way that spam can pay is if there are at least some suckers with
good money.

And the only way that there can be a reasonable number of suckers of such
monumental stupidity, who also have good money, is, as I see it, if intelligence
and good sense is not a requirement for succeeding in society.

But what is required, then, for succeeding in society?

Some of it is no doubt blind chance, but I believe that the main requirement is
simply one of fitting in, conformance. Thus, if my hypothesis is right, almost
any idiot can rise to any level of responsibility and social standing simply by
fitting in, conforming. This idiot then has good money and might be one of the
suckers responding to spam.

Cheers,

- Alf

geremy condra

[...]

Helen of Troy begs to differ.

Geremy Condra

sturlamolden

why is this group being spammed?

There used to be bots that issued cancel messages against spam, but I
don't think they are actively maintained anymore.

Mark Lawrence

They're *all* being spammed. Why? Because they can, and because Google
doesn't care.

I see little or nothing because I read through gmane.comp.python.general.

Kindest regards.

Mark Lawrence.

Nobody

There used to be bots that issued cancel messages against spam, but I
don't think they are actively maintained anymore.

Mostly because cancel messages are invariably ignored nowadays.

be.krul

Because while God created the Internet, the Devil twisted it by creating
spammers.

What do you expect? Adam just didn't pay enough attention when Eve made
him a waldorf salad; we descendants of Seth have gone and tried to
devour not only the knowledge of good and evil but all knowledge of all
things, most notably breasts.

Of course there'd be a dire consequence for our hubris.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai
   ... Blog:http://meh.ixokai.io/

 signature.asc
< 1KViewDownload

Interesting, I thought Al Gore creted Internet!?

be.krul

What kind of answer are you looking for? Are you asking about the
motives of spammers, or the technical explanation for how the spam
arrives, or something else?

--
 \                   “The best ad-libs are rehearsed.” —Graham Kennedy |
  `\                                                                   |

Why not moderate this group?

be.krul

[...]

Alf - You re my next hero!
Who could answer so eloquently.

be.krul

why is this group being spammed?

What I was asking is why not moderate the group. this is the only
Python group I could find..
But maybe owner of this group do no care in that case we *all* get
spammed!