why is this group being spammed?

Dennis Lee Bieber

But maybe owner of this group do no care in that case we *all* get
spammed!

There is NO OWNER of comp.lang.python; and turning a comp.* group
into moderated takes a fairly long time assuming you can find someone
willing to be the moderators -- what would likely happen is that
comp.lang.python.moderated would be created and then take a few months
to be picked up by the servers, and a few more months for the real users
to leave comp.lang.python to use it.

Oh, and also the hassle of the mailing-list<>usenet gateway (does it
pass traffic to both groups, drop the existing one, etc.). And readers
on Google may still see spam if Google takes posts stuff before it
passes through the moderation board.

Mark Lawrence

There is NO OWNER of comp.lang.python; and turning a comp.* group
into moderated takes a fairly long time assuming you can find someone
willing to be the moderators -- what would likely happen is that
comp.lang.python.moderated would be created and then take a few months
to be picked up by the servers, and a few more months for the real users
to leave comp.lang.python to use it.

Oh, and also the hassle of the mailing-list<>usenet gateway (does it
pass traffic to both groups, drop the existing one, etc.). And readers
on Google may still see spam if Google takes posts stuff before it
passes through the moderation board.

For the benefit of those who might have missed it, I'll repeat that I'm
reading this from gmane.comp.python.general and see little or no spam.

Regards.

Mark Lawrence.

Mark Lawrence

I read through Thunderbird on Windows direct to
gmane.comp.python.general. I'm no expert on such things, but assume
that they are simply better [or less profitable :)] at filtering spam
than the diabolical google groups. I'm unsure as to how the main
mailing list that is given above works, I'm sure that someone more
knowledgable than myself will soon let us know.

Regards.

Mark Lawrence.

John Bokma

be.krul said:
What I was asking is why not moderate the group. this is the only
Python group I could find..

Controlling spam starts by you! Report it. And certainly don't reply to
spam by qouting the entire (religious) spam message. Moron.

Benjamin Kaplan

Python-list is comp.lang.python turned into mailing list form. gmane
is python-list turned back into a newsgroup. The reason it gets less
spam is because it's behind the mailing list's spam filters. Both the
mailing list and gmane should see the same amount of spam. which is
way less than the original newsgroup/Google Group sees.

Mithrandir

They're *all* being spammed. Why? Because they can, and because Google
doesn't care.

Not only does Google not care, but they've made Usenet more accessible
to the general public. How is that bad? You go back in time, before
Google bought out Deja News, and ask the average Tom, Dick, or Harry if
they knew what Usenet was. Their response probably would have been "No"
or "Maybe..." or "Isn't that dead?" Now more people know about Usenet
and don't have to go through the hassle of finding a free server (or
paying), getting a reliable newsreader (Thunderbird, XNews, etc.), and
learning posting "COME TO MY WEBSITE!!111!!" anywhere (except misc.test)
will get you mocked and ridiculed. ;)

Now there's nothing wrong with making a newsserver publicly available
and free, but when you maintain it like a throw-away blog, allowing
child porn, spam, et al., you might as well kiss customer trust goodbye.

Welcome to the Age of Google! :)

A nice little page that I found that, unfortunately, is dead, has some
info on Google Groups:
http://web.archive.org/web/20080124152054/http://improve-usenet.org/

--
People should read more.