    1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?
    2) How to configure the web browsers to let them display java applets?

    Many thanks.
    Tom, May 30, 2006

  2. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Bjorn Abelli wrote:

    > Install the Java-plugin for your browser.
    >

    > /// Bjorn A

    I am not sure that is the answer really. If I don't have Java-plugin
    installed in my web browser, I cannot view a page like www.time.gov. I
    cannot play the chess online either. In fact, I can do all these in my
    web browser.
    (I know this because I use Linux a lot. For some reason, NetScape in
    Linux doesn't automatically install Java-plugin. So for long time, I
    cannot play chess or open a page like www.time.gov when I use Linux.
    Recently I wanted to cure the "pain", so I googled and succeded in
    installing Java-plug in. In contrast, in Microsoft Windows, web browsers
    like NetScape have no difficulty to open www.time.gov. So I assume it
    has Java-plugin installed automatically.)

    I could be wrong in some points.
    Tom, May 30, 2006

  3. Tom

    Bjorn Abelli Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote...

    > I am learning Java applet. After I have written it, I
    > found that I can only view it by appletviewer. If I try
    > to open it with FireFox(version 1.5) or NetScape(version 7.2),
    > it is a blank field. (I am using Microsoft XP OS. I am a
    > Java programmer. I have SDK 1.5 installed.)

    During the installation of that, you should have got a question whether you
    wanted to install the plugins for the web browsers you have on your machine.

    > My questions are two:
    > 1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?

    There is an abundance of applets out there, though I believe more of new
    development for the web has increased the use of pure server applications
    instead, e.g. servlets, JSP, ASP, etc., as that increases the possibility to
    use the applications from "any" browser, regardless of how the client has it
    configured.

    > 2) How to configure the web browsers to let
    > them display java applets?

    Install the Java-plugin for your browser.

    I believe the easiest way to check if you have it installed is at:

    http://www.java.com/

    /// Bjorn A

    Bjorn Abelli, May 30, 2006
  4. Tom

    Dag Sunde Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Bjorn Abelli wrote:
    >

    >> Install the Java-plugin for your browser.
    >>

    >> /// Bjorn A
    >>

    > I am not sure that is the answer really. If I don't have Java-plugin
    > installed in my web browser, I cannot view a page like www.time.gov. I
    > cannot play the chess online either. In fact, I can do all these in my
    > web browser.
    > (I know this because I use Linux a lot. For some reason, NetScape in
    > Linux doesn't automatically install Java-plugin. So for long time, I
    > cannot play chess or open a page like www.time.gov when I use Linux.
    > Recently I wanted to cure the "pain", so I googled and succeded in
    > installing Java-plug in. In contrast, in Microsoft Windows, web
    > browsers like NetScape have no difficulty to open www.time.gov. So I
    > assume it has Java-plugin installed automatically.)

    And how are you trying to view it on your windows machine?

    I think it is best you show us your code for the applet (and the html
    you use to try to show it in the browser), so we can better see what
    the problem is.

    --
    Dag.
    Dag Sunde, May 31, 2006
  5. Tom

    Bjorn Abelli Guest

    "Tom" <> wrote...

    > If I don't have Java-plugin installed in my web browser, I cannot view a
    > page like www.time.gov. I cannot play the chess online either. In fact, I
    > can do all these in my web browser.

    Well, in that case, what does the Java-Console say when you're trying the
    applets which fails?

    /// Bjorn A

    Bjorn Abelli, May 31, 2006
  6. Tom

    Wibble Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am learning Java applet. After I have written it, I found that I can
    > only view it by appletviewer. If I try to open it with FireFox(version
    > 1.5) or NetScape(version 7.2), it is a blank field. (I am using
    > Microsoft XP OS. I am a Java programmer. I have SDK 1.5 installed.)
    >
    > I have tried to configure my web browsers to make them display Java
    > applets. But few materials available. If there are some, they are
    > talking about NetScape 4.x version.
    >
    > My questions are two:
    > 1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?
    > 2) How to configure the web browsers to let them display java applets?
    >
    > Many thanks.

    What does your Object or Applet tag look like? Does your applet
    work in Firefox? Explorer? How are you loading the page in your browser?
    Wibble, May 31, 2006
  7. Tom

    Andrew T. Guest

    Tom wrote:
    > My questions are two:
    > 1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?

    They are rarely used partly because there are so many
    problems deploying them.

    > 2) How to configure the web browsers to let them display java applets?

    A combination of the OBJECT/EMBED elements is one way,
    JWS is another, the APPLET element with a little JS is yet
    another..

    But from what you said, it seems your applet has bigger problems.
    Some have mentioned the console stacktrace would be useful, but
    much quicker is if you post the URL, so we can see it break oursleves.

    What is the URL?

    Andrew T.
    Andrew T., Jun 2, 2006