why web browsers don't play Java applet?

Tom

Hi,

I am learning Java applet. After I have written it, I found that I can
only view it by appletviewer. If I try to open it with FireFox(version
1.5) or NetScape(version 7.2), it is a blank field. (I am using
Microsoft XP OS. I am a Java programmer. I have SDK 1.5 installed.)

I have tried to configure my web browsers to make them display Java
applets. But few materials available. If there are some, they are
talking about NetScape 4.x version.

My questions are two:
1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?
2) How to configure the web browsers to let them display java applets?

Many thanks.

Tom

Bjorn said:
Install the Java-plugin for your browser.
/// Bjorn A
I am not sure that is the answer really. If I don't have Java-plugin
installed in my web browser, I cannot view a page like www.time.gov. I
cannot play the chess online either. In fact, I can do all these in my
web browser.
(I know this because I use Linux a lot. For some reason, NetScape in
Linux doesn't automatically install Java-plugin. So for long time, I
cannot play chess or open a page like www.time.gov when I use Linux.
Recently I wanted to cure the "pain", so I googled and succeded in
installing Java-plug in. In contrast, in Microsoft Windows, web browsers
like NetScape have no difficulty to open www.time.gov. So I assume it
has Java-plugin installed automatically.)

I could be wrong in some points.

Bjorn Abelli

Tom said:
I am learning Java applet. After I have written it, I
found that I can only view it by appletviewer. If I try
to open it with FireFox(version 1.5) or NetScape(version 7.2),
it is a blank field. (I am using Microsoft XP OS. I am a
Java programmer. I have SDK 1.5 installed.)

During the installation of that, you should have got a question whether you
wanted to install the plugins for the web browsers you have on your machine.
My questions are two:
1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?

There is an abundance of applets out there, though I believe more of new
development for the web has increased the use of pure server applications
instead, e.g. servlets, JSP, ASP, etc., as that increases the possibility to
use the applications from "any" browser, regardless of how the client has it
configured.
2) How to configure the web browsers to let
them display java applets?

Install the Java-plugin for your browser.

I believe the easiest way to check if you have it installed is at:

http://www.java.com/

/// Bjorn A

Dag Sunde

Tom said:
I am not sure that is the answer really. If I don't have Java-plugin
installed in my web browser, I cannot view a page like www.time.gov. I
cannot play the chess online either. In fact, I can do all these in my
web browser.
(I know this because I use Linux a lot. For some reason, NetScape in
Linux doesn't automatically install Java-plugin. So for long time, I
cannot play chess or open a page like www.time.gov when I use Linux.
Recently I wanted to cure the "pain", so I googled and succeded in
installing Java-plug in. In contrast, in Microsoft Windows, web
browsers like NetScape have no difficulty to open www.time.gov. So I
assume it has Java-plugin installed automatically.)

And how are you trying to view it on your windows machine?

I think it is best you show us your code for the applet (and the html
you use to try to show it in the browser), so we can better see what
the problem is.

Bjorn Abelli

Tom said:
If I don't have Java-plugin installed in my web browser, I cannot view a
page like www.time.gov. I cannot play the chess online either. In fact, I
can do all these in my web browser.

Well, in that case, what does the Java-Console say when you're trying the
applets which fails?

/// Bjorn A

Wibble

Tom said:
Hi,

I am learning Java applet. After I have written it, I found that I can
only view it by appletviewer. If I try to open it with FireFox(version
1.5) or NetScape(version 7.2), it is a blank field. (I am using
Microsoft XP OS. I am a Java programmer. I have SDK 1.5 installed.)

I have tried to configure my web browsers to make them display Java
applets. But few materials available. If there are some, they are
talking about NetScape 4.x version.

My questions are two:
1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?
2) How to configure the web browsers to let them display java applets?

Many thanks.
What does your Object or Applet tag look like? Does your applet
work in Firefox? Explorer? How are you loading the page in your browser?

Andrew T.

Tom wrote:
My questions are two:
1) Are java applets rarely, rarely used so nobody cares?

They are rarely used partly because there are so many
problems deploying them.
2) How to configure the web browsers to let them display java applets?

A combination of the OBJECT/EMBED elements is one way,
JWS is another, the APPLET element with a little JS is yet
another..

But from what you said, it seems your applet has bigger problems.
Some have mentioned the console stacktrace would be useful, but
much quicker is if you post the URL, so we can see it break oursleves.

What is the URL?

Andrew T.