wiki reccomendations

ahoward

any votes/reccomendations for best ruby wiki? i'm leaning towards simplicity
over features.

-a
====================================
| Ara Howard
| NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
| Information and Technology Services
| Data Systems Group
| R/FST 325 Broadway
| Boulder, CO 80305-3328
| Email: (e-mail address removed)
| Phone: 303-497-7238
| Fax: 303-497-7259
| ~ > ruby -e 'p(%.\x2d\x29..intern)'
====================================

Carl Youngblood

The biggest feature that is not often included but is so useful is file
attachments. This way people can upload images and include them in
their wiki pages and can also collaborate with one another a lot easier.
I'm not interested in everything but the kitchen sink, but file
attachments are pretty important, IMO.

Steve Conover, Jr

ahoward said:
any votes/reccomendations for best ruby wiki? i'm leaning towards simplicity
over features.

Definitely check out MiniRubyWiki. Astonishing simplicity.

Mark Janssen

ahoward said:
any votes/reccomendations for best ruby wiki? i'm leaning towards simplicity
over features.

I have hacked something together during the last week or so and it
really is a hack. However it's very simple and should be easy to
extend. It's using webrick and the diff algoritm implementation by
Lars Christensen for logging of changes.
It works great for me personally but it's probably not very suitable
to run on a publicly accessible server. I run it as a personal server
on my laptop.
I don't want to post the whole source here (around 8kb) but I can mail
it to you if you want. Just drop me an e-mail in case you are
interested.

Mark

ahoward

I have hacked something together during the last week or so and it really is
a hack. However it's very simple and should be easy to extend. It's using
webrick and the diff algoritm implementation by Lars Christensen for logging
of changes. It works great for me personally but it's probably not very
suitable to run on a publicly accessible server. I run it as a personal
server on my laptop. I don't want to post the whole source here (around
8kb) but I can mail it to you if you want. Just drop me an e-mail in case
you are interested.

i am interested. austin recently sent me one too (thanks austin). feel free
to send it to me or, even better, post it on rubygarden. sure seems like
there is a lot of momentum in this area but not much direction - i mean, there
is a lot of people rolling there own because they didn't quite like this or
that or needed this or that. i've been asking alot of my friends and usemod
(the single perl script) seems like it's winning the popularity contest around
here - i wonder why _exactly_...

i just read my own post and decided that rubygarden needs a place to compile
common specifications - like specifications for what an uber wiki would do.
my hope is that people, when starting a project, could create a specification
page and let people have at it. after some time, one could filter and
prioritize based on the wants/needs of the community. the starting place for
specifications can be found at:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?CategorySpec

and the spec page for the uber wiki at:

http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?UberWiki

-a
====================================
| Ara Howard
| NOAA Forecast Systems Laboratory
| Information and Technology Services
| Data Systems Group
| R/FST 325 Broadway
| Boulder, CO 80305-3328
| Email: (e-mail address removed)
| Phone: 303-497-7238
| Fax: 303-497-7259
| ~ > ruby -e 'p(%.\x2d\x29..intern)'
====================================

Jim Freeze

I used ruwiki. I've heavily modified it, and I think that Alan will be using
significant chunks of what I've done, but you can look around my wiki at:
http://www.halostatue.ca/ruwiki/ruwiki.cgi

If you want the version I use, I can zip it up. I have a rudimentary locking
system that I added and a very rudimentary versioning system (but no way to
get the versions out yet).

Austin:

I am interested in your version of ruwiki. Can you send me a copy?
Also, do you plan to make an official release of your changes?

Thanks