Wikiversity and Ruby.

C Erler

------=_Part_17676_16643168.1120630622049

Since nobody seems motivated to contribute to the Wikiversity School of=20
Computer Science (
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:School_of_Computer_Science; theory=
=20
of computation, not job-preparation programming) and since the courses ther=
e=20
aren't developed at all, I've decided to use Ruby as the base language (wit=
h=20
interludes into things like Lisp and Haskell to illustrate certain concepts=
=20
better) so that I can teach the concepts instead of the language pitfalls.

Who knows, though. Maybe the people who have currently been sleeping for a=
=20
month to a year will come back and force a switch to C++ or something (it i=
s=20
a wiki). If, however, we can get a sizable amount of content written (lack=
=20
of content is probably the main cause of malaise there), and it's written=
=20
well, we might be able to stop the evils of C++ from spreading (just kiddin=
g=20
;).

I've begun my efforts in the Data Structures course (
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Wikiversity:Data_Structures). I hope to make i=
t=20
fit in a page, yet give good, solid knowledge of simple data structures. An=
y=20
volunteers there or elsewhere would be appreciated.

------=_Part_17676_16643168.1120630622049--

Phil Tomson

[...]

Very cool. If I get a little time I'll try to contribute.
I hadn't heard of Wikiversity or Wikibooks before - good to know that
something like this is going on.

Phil