wildcard arrays or lists

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by anansi, May 9, 2007.

  1. anansi

    anansi Guest

    hi ,
    I wondered if it is possible to tell ruby to accept wildcards in arrays
    or lists. I have a function which relys on .each and accepts arrays and
    lists of IP's. Is it possible to use wildcards in an array like

    buff = Array(127.0.*.*)

    of couse this is not working but is there any way to do this? Or is my
    only option to fill the array "by hand" with a loop with every single IP?

    --
    greets

    (
    )
    (
    /\ .-"""-. /\
    //\\/ ,,, \//\\
    |/\| ,;;;;;, |/\|
    //\\\;-"""-;///\\
    // \/ . \/ \\
    (| ,-_| \ | / |_-, |)
    //`__\.-.-./__`\\
    // /.-(() ())-.\ \\
    (\ |) '---' (| /)
    ` (| |) `
    jgs \) (/

    one must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a
    dancing star

    anansi, May 9, 2007

  2. anansi

    Guest

    On May 9, 10:14 am, anansi <> wrote:
    > I wondered if it is possible to tell ruby to accept wildcards in arrays
    > or lists. I have a function which relys on .each and accepts arrays and
    > lists of IP's. Is it possible to use wildcards in an array like
    >
    > buff = Array(127.0.*.*)
    >
    > of couse this is not working but is there any way to do this? Or is my
    > only option to fill the array "by hand" with a loop with every single IP?

    The problem is what do you mean by "*"? Is it limited to numbers or
    can letters be included? Since you're specifying an IP address in
    this case, you are probably limiting it to a finite set of positive
    integers. You could use a number of Ruby iterators to fill in all
    possible combinations (Array#upto immediately comes to mind; ie:
    0.upto(127) {|i| buff.push "127.0.#{i}.0"} - of course you'll need to
    have two loops to fill in the two last numbers).

    But I'm curious as to why you want to do this in the first place. I'm
    thinking that a regular expression might be more suitable; however, I
    can't be sure without more information.

    , May 9, 2007