Will one ASP .Net worker process use more than one CPU?

Guest

I am currently evaluating a CMS product. I like the product so far, but one
of the restrictions on the product is that it requires that the Windows 2003
application pool be restricted to one worker process. They say this is being
done to improve caching. (???)

My understanding that the way ASP .Net scales is to create one worker
process per CPU. If the number of worker processes is restricted to one,
doesn't that mean that I am not taking advantage of the other cpus on the box?

The only reason I'm familiar with to limit the number of worker processes is
to allow inproc session state. I'm not sure what benefits caching could get
from this. Any ideas on this so I might better understand what is going on
would be appreciated.

bruce barker

an worker process uses threads, and these threads will run on more than
1 proc. your cms product must use an in-memory cache, that restricts it
to one worker process. it must be unmanaged memory, or it would
restricted to one app domain (one web site).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

How do you figure this restriction will hurt it scaling wise. I would assume
that the default in creating one worker process per cpu has some advantages,
so I am just wondering what I am losing.

Guest

Isn't restricting it to one worker process the same as turning web garden
support off?