window authentication against ADAM users

Ann

Hi,

Has anyone know how to do window authentication against ADAM users?

Thanks for any reply

Ann

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

You can't. ADAM users can only be authenticated with LDAP simple bind.
ADAM can use pass through authentication to authenticate Windows users with
LDAP secure bind, but not the other way around.

What are you trying to do?

Joe K.

Ann

We won't to manage a Windows 2003 FTP server by using ADAM user accounts. The
user would log into the FTP site and we would authenticate their credentials
against ADAM.

The documentation said that ADAM had the same schema as Active Directory
2003 but I could not find a home FTP directory location as a property of a
User object. I am now wondering why would I need to use ADAM???

Joe Kaplan \(MVP - ADSI\)

You can't use ADAM for what you are trying to do. What you would actually
want to use ADAM for is a good question that a lot of people are struggling
with, but generally you use it when you need a "pure" LDAP directory. For
example, you could use it as a user store for a web application or perhaps
as an authorization policy store for applications. You can even use it as a
typically database if the LDAP model suits your needs vs. the more
traditional relational model.

For what you are trying to do, you need AD or local machine accounts. If
you wanted to build your own FTP server, then you could potentially use ADAM
as your user store (although you could not use file system ACLs to provide
security; you'd need to provide that as well). My guess is that you don't
want to do that.

I hope that helps,

Joe K.