window.opener

Phillip Parr

Hello everyone. I've written a script which bounces my IE box around the
screen and then expands it to fill the screen. It works perfectly except one
problem: it doesn't work on my website. My website uses cloaked redirection
(which basically means my site name stays in the browser while the real page
is loaded into a frame). I've tried to change window to window.parent and
window.opener but either nothing happens (although I assume the script is
running as I have embedded sounds) or I get an Access Denied error. Know any
fixes?

Test page: http://www.wizpip.com/roll.html
Base address: http://www.phillipparr.myby.co.uk/roll.html

Phillip Parr

Ok, I think it's to do with security and not being able to access the window
when the main frame is from a different domain. Damn it!

Richard Cornford

Phillip Parr wrote: said:
I've written a script which bounces my IE box around
the screen and then expands it to fill the screen. It
works perfectly except one problem:

Every now and again people post lists of the most annoying things that
web authors do with javascript from the perspective of users. Moving
browser windows around and re-sizing windows (especially to full screen)
*always* appear in the top four. (Usually as 2 and 3 after disabling the
context menu).

Every time a user is exposed to some web author pulling silly stunts
with their browser for apparently no better reason that just because
they can, there is a chance that the user will permanently disable
javascript and have an end to it. And strange as it may seem, this group
does not want to promote actions that will encourage users to disable
javascript. Instead we want the users to look upon javascript as a
source of enhancement, no of irritation.
it doesn't work on my website.
<snip>

That sounds perfect.

Richard.