Windows 7 - 64-bit and MySql - what are my options?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Alpha Blue, Apr 19, 2010.

  1. Alpha Blue

    Alpha Blue Guest

    I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. Here is my environment:

    Windows 7 - 64-bit
    ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)

    .. which was probably built on 32 bit.

    I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql. What do I need to do to get this
    running?

    Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
    answer:

    1. Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
    a monster exists).
    2. Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)
    3. Install a 32-bit version of mysql.
    4. Other (I'll give you my answer)

    Select an answer and provide some feedback where possible.

    Many thanks in advance!
    Alpha Blue, Apr 19, 2010

  2. Alpha Blue

    Luis Lavena Guest

    On Apr 19, 7:21 pm, Alpha Blue <> wrote:
    > I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit.  Here is my environment:
    >
    > Windows 7 - 64-bit
    > ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)
    >
    > . which was probably built on 32 bit.
    >
    > I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql.  What do I need to do to get this
    > running?

    This might help:

    http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/04/19/quick-start-for-rails-on-windows-seven/

    > Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
    > answer:
    >
    > 1.  Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
    > a monster exists).

    Not available yet.

    > 2.  Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)

    Since Ruby is 32-bits, there is no 64-bits version of the gem.

    > 3.  Install a 32-bit version of mysql.

    You can still use a 32-bits mysql DLL to connect to 64-bits MySQL.

    Just download the simplest 32-bits package for the exact same version
    of the compiled gem, and you can connect to any type of MySQL version.

    HTH,
    --
    Luis Lavena
    Luis Lavena, Apr 20, 2010

  3. Alpha Blue

    Walton Hoops Guest

    On 4/19/2010 4:21 PM, Alpha Blue wrote:
    > I upgraded from 32-bit to Windows 7 64-bit. Here is my environment:
    >
    > Windows 7 - 64-bit
    > ruby 1.9.1p243 (i386-mingw32)
    >
    > .. which was probably built on 32 bit.
    >
    > I'm using the 64-bit version of mysql. What do I need to do to get this
    > running?
    >
    > Before I get inundated with too much information, select the following
    > answer:
    >
    > 1. Reinstall Ruby 1.9.1 using a 64-bit mingw installer package (if such
    > a monster exists).
    > 2. Install a 64-bit mysql gem (what is the command, the source, etc.)
    > 3. Install a 32-bit version of mysql.
    > 4. Other (I'll give you my answer)
    >
    > Select an answer and provide some feedback where possible.
    >
    > Many thanks in advance!

    4:) First make sure you installed rubyinstaller via
    http://rubyinstaller.org/,
    then install the DevKit (select addons from that very page). Then just
    run 'gem install mysql'. voila!
    Walton Hoops, Apr 20, 2010