Windows Compiler Recommendations

Derek

Hi,

I am taking introductory C++ in college, and we use MS Visual C++ in
class. :-(

I want to be independent from Microsoft (or as independent as I can be
while developing on Windows!) Are there any good, easy-to-use GNU
compilers for windows? What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Derek

Brian Genisio

Derek said:
Hi,

I am taking introductory C++ in college, and we use MS Visual C++ in
class. :-(

I want to be independent from Microsoft (or as independent as I can be
while developing on Windows!) Are there any good, easy-to-use GNU
compilers for windows? What do you recommend?

Thanks,
Derek

Yeah...

mingw is a direct port,
cygwin is a POSIX port, which then ports the tools using POSIX.

mingw is faster and more minimal
cygwin has everything you would expect in a Linux distribution

Both have shells (sh, bash) ported to windows.

The Bloodshed DevC++ mentioned by the other poster uses mingw by
default, but it can be set up to use cygwin.

DevC++ is open source and cross platform, so the same development
environment can theoretically be used on many platforms (nice)

Good luck,
Brian

Bryan Bullard

i will also recommend gnu c++ on cygwin. have never had any major issues
for a wide variety of projects.
also you might find the bin utilities helpful.

-bryan