Wish: MS, please add Office 2k3 Menus/Toolbars to the Framework

Jason Webb

Dear Microsoft,

The current "Windows.Forms" controls included in the .Net Framework are good, but in many ways they're pretty basic, and I think it's time that you take Windows.Forms to the next level. I really think that the menus and toolbars used in Office 2003 should be added to the .Net Framework as standard controls in the next release of the Framework and VS.NET, codenamed "Visual Studio .Net for Yukon." This would truly take the ..Net to the next level! Thanks for listening to this, and let me know what you think.

Jason

K. Shier

this petition gets my signature
Dear Microsoft,

The current "Windows.Forms" controls included in the .Net Framework are good, but in many ways they're pretty basic, and I think it's time that you take Windows.Forms to the next level. I really think that the menus and toolbars used in Office 2003 should be added to the .Net Framework as standard controls in the next release of the Framework and VS.NET, codenamed "Visual Studio .Net for Yukon." This would truly take the .Net to the next level! Thanks for listening to this, and let me know what you think.

Jason

Ori

Mine too...
this petition gets my signature
Dear Microsoft,

The current "Windows.Forms" controls included in the .Net Framework are good, but in many ways they're pretty basic, and I think it's time that you take Windows.Forms to the next level. I really think that the menus and toolbars used in Office 2003 should be added to the .Net Framework as standard controls in the next release of the Framework and VS.NET, codenamed "Visual Studio .Net for Yukon." This would truly take the .Net to the next level! Thanks for listening to this, and let me know what you think.

Jason

phoenix

Why? Menus have an ownerdraw property which let you draw them by yourself.
It's not 100% the same but you can get them almost the same without much
effort (in comparison with the old VB6 days). I would guess something
similar is possible with the toolbars though I never tried it.

Yves

"K. Shier" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
this petition gets my signature
Dear Microsoft,

The current "Windows.Forms" controls included in the .Net Framework are
good, but in many ways they're pretty basic, and I think it's time that you
take Windows.Forms to the next level. I really think that the menus and
toolbars used in Office 2003 should be added to the .Net Framework as
standard controls in the next release of the Framework and VS.NET, codenamed
"Visual Studio .Net for Yukon." This would truly take the .Net to the next
level! Thanks for listening to this, and let me know what you think.

Jason

Tim Wilson [MVP]

Agreed. But...
Everybodies compenetcy level is different. So some people may not know that
they can owner-draw and some people wouldn't know where to begin on this
subject. Also the idea behind the framework (IMO) is to take the emphasis
off the code and put the emphasis on the application concepts - aka what you
are trying to accomplish. Why would I use .Net over let's say VB classic if
I didn't gain anything from it? ... because .Net is *supposed* to be the
evolution of programming, hence why the more wrapped features they have the
closer they become to a application-concept model instead of a code-concept
model.

To all those people that say "do it yourself" that's great and if you want
to do that that's fine. But if everyone is doing it themselves and then
rolling out apps, the end user will have 2x, 3x, 4x, etc. the amount of
assemblies sitting on their machines when this could all be shared from the
MS assemblies in the GAC. The fact is Microsoft encourages feedback, and I
have heard this request (for stronger UI controls) asked many times. So this
is something that MS wants people to talk about.

In relation to the original poster, have a look at the following web sites
(free stuff ahead):
http://www.dotnetmagic.com
http://www.divil.co.uk/net/controls/ (look at the DotNetWidgets)

Jeremy Cowles

Touché.

Tim Wilson said:
[...]

Sorry that should read:
Everybody's competency level is different.

BTW: Competency is not a good word to misspell - should have run a spell
check.

Jeremy Cowles

LOL!