    coder Guest

    Google displays Word and Excel online on their web pages. Does anyone know
    how they do that?
    coder, Dec 8, 2007

  2. coder wrote:

    > Google displays Word and Excel online on their web pages. Does anyone
    > know

    I guess you are referint to MS Word documents and MS Excel stylesheets.

    > how they do that?

    They've a conversion software, converting from one of the Microsoft's
    format to HTML.
    This requires:
    1) A parser for the Microsoft format.
    2) A conversion routine that dumps an HTML DOM (this is the tricky part).
    3) An HTML output.

    MS Excel stylesheets can easily be converted to HTML tables (but, of
    course, macros and stylesheets automatic calculus cannot be converted).
    For MS Word documents, that's more tricky. It cannot produce good semantic
    HTML.

    --
    If you've a question that doesn't belong to Usenet, contact me at
    <tabkanDELETETHISnaz at yahoDELETETHATo.fr>
    André Gillibert, Dec 8, 2007

  3. coder wrote:

    > Google displays Word and Excel online on their web pages. Does anyone
    > know how they do that?

    I don't know how *they* do it, but I know how *I* do it. wvHTML for Word,
    and xls2csv for Excel.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    [OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 1 day, 21:48.]

    Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/
    Toby A Inkster, Dec 9, 2007