Write a python blog/website?

Discussion in 'Python' started by sharpshoot, May 8, 2008.

  1. sharpshoot

    sharpshoot Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I thought this would be really interesting to people who blog who
    might be able to help us. This year we built a product called
    Snaptalent, emanating from Paul Graham's Y Combinator, which allows
    bloggers to monetize using tasteful and relevant job advertising.

    When we found out Joel Spolsky makes over $200k a year from Job
    Advertising, we decided to do something about helping publishers who
    write great content, who don't make a lot of money to make money from
    relevant job ads as opposed to some of the irrelevance shown by
    adsense.

    We also decided that in addition making the jobs ads solely text based
    that we would allow for tasteful widget formats with images (to show
    off cool offices), video (to show off the people). Also we decided to
    make pretty widgets, which when clicked upon, showed a full page job
    ad in a lightbox thus not taking users away from the page.

    Also for a lot of audiences job ads would be more relevant and that
    great job ads are also great content (like the job ads in the
    economist).

    Things have gone really well and since March, this year we've worked
    with a test group of about 45 sites and 30 or so companies to really
    get this right. Now we're ready to add a 100 more sites for the next
    phase to improve what we've done, so we need your help to get us
    there!

    You can see our widgets some high profile sites like

    Hacker News: http://news.ycombinator.com/jobs
    Steve Yegge: http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com
    Raganwald: http://weblog.raganwald.com

    and we've attracted some great initial reviews:

    http://paulstamatiou.com/2008/03/15/snaptalent-compelling-job-ads
    http://www.pchristensen.com/blog/ar...ation-and-the-passionate-developer-community/

    We're keen to continue growing the network again and are planning to
    restrict this to another 100 blogs for the next phase.

    I would love to extend out an invitation to folk who

    * Write good quality content
    * Update regularly and have some traffic

    If you'd like to participate the URL to get a widget here:
    http://snaptalent.com/widgets/new

    Now the rates may not be as high as they will be in the future, and
    there may be stuff we need to fix, but together with your feedback we
    can iterate on what we've done & make something thats really valuable
    for the programming community.

    Please feel free to forward this to someone who you know may benefit
    or if you have any questions, don't hesitate to contact me.

    Thanks in advance for your help!

    Sumon

    Co-founder
    Snaptalent

    sharpshoot, May 8, 2008

  2. sharpshoot

    Sumon Sadhu Guest

    Hey Dotan,

    My apologies if this post caused offense. Your assertion is right,
    maybe i should have emailed everyone individually like i've done with
    the first 45 sites, but it was never my intention to spam.

    We're programmers like yourself, trying to build something that
    provides a lot of benefit. You can see our intentions are genuine
    (and our python ad server was fun to build)

    So while i appreciate your response, it was never my attention to be
    "spammy"

    Thanks,

    - Sumon

    Sumon Sadhu, May 9, 2008