Writing brief report on XML databases...

Discussion in 'XML' started by Irving Kimura, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. At work I've been assigned the task of writing a brief (1-2 pages)
    report on the state-of-the-art of XML databases. The goal of this
    report is to inform a working group on possible choices for a
    systems specifications proposal (i.e. it's a case of "the blind
    leading the blind" :) ). I sure could use some words o' wisdom
    from you folks.

    I understand that there are two broad approaches to making databases
    for XML data. One is to build the system on top of a traditional
    RDBMS and translate data back and forth between XML and RDBMS
    representations of the data; the other one is to store, manipulate,
    and query the data directly as XML ("native XML" systems). What
    are the pros and cons of each approach? We are particularly
    concerned about issues of performance, since it is the committee's
    *uninformed* impression that XML database systems are not mature
    enough to be competitive performance-wise.

    Also I am looking for recommendations on open-source XML database
    management systems. Are there any clear front runners?

    Thanks,

    Irv

    Irving Kimura, Dec 16, 2003