    Python or some libraries that I could import and use in my code?

    Thanks,
    JET
    JamesT, Jul 29, 2003

  2. JamesT

    Anand Pillai Guest

    AFAIK the only apis in python that come close to being called
    multimedia APIs are PIL and the ming library for reading SWF
    files. PIL has support for basic animation like Animated gifs
    and Autodesk flc/fli animations but not for the 'heavy' formats
    like AVI/MPEG/QT.

    Of course one cannot write a library for managing multimedia
    formats like AVI/MPEG in pure python. The best approach is to
    borrow some C++ library code and implement a python interface
    for it. Something similar to the spread toolkit for python.
    (http://www.python.org/other/spread/)

    I was interested in creating a multimedia library for python for
    handling AVI/MPEG files in this manner by using a widely available
    C++/C library and writing a python extension for it. I have not yet
    done anything for it. If you plan to write one, please post it here so
    that I can join in or help with the coding.

    Regards

    ~Anand

    Anand Pillai, Jul 30, 2003