WYSIWYG / HTML Light CSS Editor needed

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bob, Jan 28, 2006.

  1. Bob

    Bob Guest

    I need to find an HTML /Page editor for an associate. Mostly he will
    be working with existing templates to enter content (text and
    graphics) in a rough WYSIWYG mode. He will need to be able to use
    basic HTML tags (formatting, links), use CSS text formatting with a
    link (pre-defined) style file, insert pictures and links in WYSIWYG
    mode, work with basic tables, table column dragging would be good. It
    needs WYSIWYG (reasonably well done) and HTML source mode. It needs to
    _not_ trash existing Javascript hooks but does not need to create any
    JS or CSS-P capabilities.

    Ideas? MS-FP would work but it has a lot of overhead that you have to
    tolerate and periodically strip and he's anti-MS (Linux guy) so he
    won't want that (I use MS-FP, I know :) . I tried NVU and it is very
    close to what I need but it does not handle CSS on <p> tags - all the
    CSS text formatting has to be done on <span> tags unless you work in
    HTML mode. HTML mode is difficult because when you switch into it, it
    always places you at the top of the source - not where you are editing
    in the WYSIWYG mode. Unusable on large pages.

    Shareware would be best, I need to test drive before any purchase is
    made.

    Thanks
    Bob, Jan 28, 2006

  2. Bob

    David Segall Guest

    Bob <> wrote:

    >I need to find an HTML /Page editor for an associate. Mostly he will
    >be working with existing templates to enter content (text and
    >graphics) in a rough WYSIWYG mode. He will need to be able to use
    >basic HTML tags (formatting, links), use CSS text formatting with a
    >link (pre-defined) style file, insert pictures and links in WYSIWYG
    >mode, work with basic tables, table column dragging would be good. It
    >needs WYSIWYG (reasonably well done) and HTML source mode. It needs to
    >_not_ trash existing Javascript hooks but does not need to create any
    >JS or CSS-P capabilities.
    >
    >Ideas? MS-FP would work but it has a lot of overhead that you have to
    >tolerate and periodically strip and he's anti-MS (Linux guy) so he
    >won't want that (I use MS-FP, I know :) . I tried NVU and it is very
    >close to what I need but it does not handle CSS on <p> tags - all the
    >CSS text formatting has to be done on <span> tags unless you work in
    >HTML mode. HTML mode is difficult because when you switch into it, it
    >always places you at the top of the source - not where you are editing
    >in the WYSIWYG mode. Unusable on large pages.
    >
    >Shareware would be best, I need to test drive before any purchase is
    >made.

    You can get a thirty day trial of Dreamweaver
    <http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver>
    but they don't have a Linux version.
    David Segall, Jan 28, 2006

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jan 2006 15:39:18 GMT, David Segall <>
    wrote:

    >Bob <> wrote:
    >
    >>I need to find an HTML /Page editor for an associate. Mostly he will
    >>be working with existing templates to enter content (text and
    >>graphics) in a rough WYSIWYG mode. He will need to be able to use
    >>basic HTML tags (formatting, links), use CSS text formatting with a
    >>link (pre-defined) style file, insert pictures and links in WYSIWYG
    >>mode, work with basic tables, table column dragging would be good. It
    >>needs WYSIWYG (reasonably well done) and HTML source mode. It needs to
    >>_not_ trash existing Javascript hooks but does not need to create any
    >>JS or CSS-P capabilities.
    >>
    >>Ideas? MS-FP would work but it has a lot of overhead that you have to
    >>tolerate and periodically strip and he's anti-MS (Linux guy) so he
    >>won't want that (I use MS-FP, I know :) . I tried NVU and it is very
    >>close to what I need but it does not handle CSS on <p> tags - all the
    >>CSS text formatting has to be done on <span> tags unless you work in
    >>HTML mode. HTML mode is difficult because when you switch into it, it
    >>always places you at the top of the source - not where you are editing
    >>in the WYSIWYG mode. Unusable on large pages.
    >>
    >>Shareware would be best, I need to test drive before any purchase is
    >>made.

    >You can get a thirty day trial of Dreamweaver
    ><http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=dreamweaver>
    >but they don't have a Linux version.

    He does daily work on Windows so a linux version is not needed but DW
    is overkill at $300. He isn't doing serious development, just page
    editing. Need something a bit lighter.

    Thanks,
    Bob, Jan 28, 2006
  4. Bob

    attitudes Guest

    Re: WYSIWYG / HTML Light CSS Editor needed

    Why can't he go on eBay and find an older version of Dreamweaver for
    well under $100.00.? I would look for Dreamweaver MX or MX 2004.
    attitudes, Jan 28, 2006
  5. Bob

    David Segall Guest

    "attitudes" <> wrote:

    >Why can't he go on eBay and find an older version of Dreamweaver for
    >well under $100.00.? I would look for Dreamweaver MX or MX 2004.

    I think that only Dreamweaver 8 includes the brilliant CSS view. It
    shows you, and allows you to change, the source of all the styles that
    affect the selected element in the current HTML or GUI view. I'd go
    for an academic and/or upgrade version.
    David Segall, Jan 28, 2006
  6. Bob

    attitudes Guest

    attitudes, Jan 28, 2006
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Re: WYSIWYG / HTML Light CSS Editor needed

    On 28 Jan 2006 07:57:59 -0800, "attitudes" <>
    wrote:

    >Why can't he go on eBay and find an older version of Dreamweaver for
    >well under $100.00.? I would look for Dreamweaver MX or MX 2004.

    That's an interesting thought... Maybe I will look in that direction.
    Bob, Jan 28, 2006
  8. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Re: WYSIWYG / HTML Light CSS Editor needed

    On 28 Jan 2006 09:12:29 -0800, "attitudes" <>
    wrote:

    >He Can try this. It is the free version. They also have an upgrade
    >which comes w/ a free trial. I hope this helps.
    >http://www.bradsoft.com/topstyle/tslite/fullver.asp

    Thanks, will check.
    Bob, Jan 28, 2006
  9. Bob

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Bob wrote:

    > I need to find an HTML /Page editor for an associate. Mostly he will
    > be working with existing templates to enter content (text and
    > graphics) in a rough WYSIWYG mode. He will need to be able to use
    > basic HTML tags (formatting, links), use CSS text formatting with a
    > link (pre-defined) style file, insert pictures and links in WYSIWYG
    > mode, work with basic tables, table column dragging would be good. It
    > needs WYSIWYG (reasonably well done) and HTML source mode. It needs to
    > _not_ trash existing Javascript hooks but does not need to create any
    > JS or CSS-P capabilities.

    I like NVU. http://www.nvu.com
    It's a good program, it also has CSS capeabilities.
    It's also easyer to edit pages in NVU then in DW and produces Valid
    Code.

    > Ideas? MS-FP would work but it has a lot of overhead that you have to
    > tolerate and periodically strip and he's anti-MS (Linux guy) so he
    > won't want that (I use MS-FP, I know :) . I tried NVU and it is very
    > close to what I need but it does not handle CSS on <p> tags - all the
    > CSS text formatting has to be done on <span> tags unless you work in
    > HTML mode. HTML mode is difficult because when you switch into it, it
    > always places you at the top of the source - not where you are editing

    Out of interest, why the hell don't you just let him decide for
    himself. NVU is Cross platform compadable, which means it can work on
    both Windows and Linux.

    > in the WYSIWYG mode. Unusable on large pages.

    It would not be if you had an external Stylesheet and just edit that
    too make site-wide changes.
    Also if the site is going to be that large, I'd just use a CMS. Such as
    Mambo.

    > Shareware would be best, I need to test drive before any purchase is
    > made.

    I take it you don't care about Spyware then?

    Chaddy2222, Jan 29, 2006
  10. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Re: WYSIWYG / HTML Light CSS Editor needed

    On 28 Jan 2006 21:54:05 -0800, "Chaddy2222"
    <> wrote:

    >Out of interest, why the hell don't you just let him decide for
    >himself. NVU is Cross platform compadable, which means it can work on
    >both Windows and Linux.

    Yeah... I know... I might just do that. It's the best I've found. I've
    tested a whole bunch of other tools and all I can say is that some
    people have a really, really strange idea of how to build a user
    interface.

    >> in the WYSIWYG mode. Unusable on large pages.

    >It would not be if you had an external Stylesheet and just edit that
    >too make site-wide changes.
    >Also if the site is going to be that large, I'd just use a CMS. Such as
    >Mambo.

    It's not the site size, just the page size. Also, I do have an
    external stylesheet - but I need to see what style an element (<p>)
    has applied to it.

    I've discovered that you can see the CSS on the paragraphs in tag view
    if you check each tag. Not exactly wonderful, but usable. Also, if you
    go to tag view first then it will index to the proper part of the page
    when you go to source view, so that might be a reasonable work around.
    Bob, Jan 29, 2006
  11. Bob

    Sunny Guest

    Re: WYSIWYG / HTML Light CSS Editor needed

    "Chaddy2222" <> wrote in message
    <snip>
    > I like NVU. http://www.nvu.com
    > It's a good program, it also has CSS capeabilities.
    > It's also easyer to edit pages in NVU then in DW and produces Valid
    > Code.

    <snip>
    I downloaded "NVU" and Pagebreeze.
    Have just started on my first web pages, using Pagebreeze and AceFTP3free.
    Good or bad choice ?
    Sunny, Jan 29, 2006
  12. Bob

    Chaddy2222 Guest

    Sunny wrote:

    > "Chaddy2222" <> wrote in message
    > <snip>
    > > I like NVU. http://www.nvu.com
    > > It's a good program, it also has CSS capeabilities.
    > > It's also easyer to edit pages in NVU then in DW and produces Valid
    > > Code.

    > <snip>
    > I downloaded "NVU" and Pagebreeze.
    > Have just started on my first web pages, using Pagebreeze and AceFTP3free.
    > Good or bad choice ?

    I have never used PageBreaze, but if that works fine for you, then I
    guess their will not be any problems.
    But, I did notice two very interesting items on their website. The main
    one is that by default your pages can be viewed in Internet Explorer.
    Which is ok, but, you should make sure that you have a copy of FireFox
    installed on your Machine for testing your website.
    Your site may look fantastic In IE but faile badly in FF.
    I would also suggest installing, or useing a text only browser such as
    Lynx.
    Your site will look very different in a text only browser, but looking
    at your site this way will also give you an idea on how a Screen Reader
    will look at and or read your page.
    I would also suggest running your pages through a validator, such as
    http://validator.w3.org
    This will help you fix any errors that may arise.
    HTH.
    Chaddy2222, Jan 30, 2006