x01 - Improved!

Andrew Cameron

Thanks for your previous comments, everyone. I have taken pretty much all
of them on-board apart from the brilliant website critique of "buy a new
domain name". The menus links are now split up, the headings are defined
and are using <h#>, there's a contact form mail, and some of the colours
have been made bolder to add a bit of definition. It still validates, and
I'm nearing happiness with it. Your opinions are desired, so please have a
look at the new and improved < http://x01.co.uk/frontend/ >. Thanks in
advance.

Ian Miller

Andrew said:
Thanks for your previous comments, everyone. I have taken pretty much all
of them on-board apart from the brilliant website critique of "buy a new
domain name". The menus links are now split up, the headings are defined
and are using <h#>, there's a contact form mail, and some of the colours
have been made bolder to add a bit of definition. It still validates, and
I'm nearing happiness with it. Your opinions are desired, so please have a
look at the new and improved < http://x01.co.uk/frontend/ >. Thanks in
advance.

I like this. It's a smooth looking design which works well in Both
Mozilla and Lynx.

A couple of nit-picky things could be said:

I personally don't like your h2 heading style. Because they're right
aligned I don't see them immediately, and the spaced out lettering makes
words run into each other a little (w h a t i s x 01 - only not quite as
bad).

Your contact form isn't a standard white background - so without
thinking about it doesn't look like somewhere I can type in. If you'
don't want a white background, perhaps you could but in some pre-filled
values such as <your e-mail here> or something like that? The fields are
also a little small.

Contact form is missing a title.

I don't think the dates on the front page are really headings. Do they
really deserve h3 tags? Conversly - on your rollover tutorial,
'Background' and 'The Method' are definitely headings, but apparantly
only deserve <b> tags - you need to be consistent.

Just my thoughts,

Ian M

Andrew Cameron

Ian Miller said:
I like this. It's a smooth looking design which works well in Both
Mozilla and Lynx.
*smiles*

I personally don't like your h2 heading style. Because they're right
aligned I don't see them immediately, and the spaced out lettering makes
words run into each other a little (w h a t i s x 01 - only not quite as
bad).

This was an issue I was thinking about, made worse the wider the page is,
which is why I was avoiding the variable-width option. However I have
concluded, after looking at it in many browsers, that it looks better this
way. Problem is, if I put the headings at the left, everything looks
left-aligned too much. Any ideas on this?
Your contact form isn't a standard white background - so without
thinking about it doesn't look like somewhere I can type in. If you'
don't want a white background, perhaps you could but in some pre-filled
values such as <your e-mail here> or something like that? The fields are
also a little small.

Made the background white - I still think it looks nice.
Contact form is missing a title.

Fixed also.
I don't think the dates on the front page are really headings. Do they
really deserve h3 tags? Conversly - on your rollover tutorial,
'Background' and 'The Method' are definitely headings, but apparantly
only deserve <b> tags - you need to be consistent.

It was him! *points* A big bot did it and ran away! Honest!

Well, okay, it was me. I was advised into it, though, since "<h3></h3>" is
"<h3></h3>". I'm torn; if anything, they are both headings, but one of them
isn't worth the effort of an <h#> tag.

I think if I keep chanting "it validates, it validates, it validates" then
I'll be okay :eek:)

William Tasso

Andrew said:
Oh, I get your point now! The fixed-width thing? I'd done
*something* about that (same URL, please refresh), but I'm not sure
that it looks as good since there's less text at 1024x768 and above
to "go around". What do you reckon?

I like it better ;o)

BUT it should be noted that I am graphically challenged wrt both colours and
shapes. In fact a basic comprehension of all things graphical has thus far
manged to completely elude me.

When faced with the issue of 'not enough text' I resign myself to the fact
that I just didn't put in enough effort first time and mark it for more
research and update. YMMV

Leif K-Brooks

Andrew said:
Thanks for your previous comments, everyone. I have taken pretty much all
of them on-board apart from the brilliant website critique of "buy a new
domain name". The menus links are now split up, the headings are defined
and are using <h#>, there's a contact form mail, and some of the colours
have been made bolder to add a bit of definition. It still validates, and
I'm nearing happiness with it. Your opinions are desired, so please have a
look at the new and improved < http://x01.co.uk/frontend/ >. Thanks in
advance.

I was able to get your logo down to 3.69 KB with virtually no loss:
http://ecritters.biz/x01logo.png

Mark Nobles

Andrew Cameron said:
Problem is, if I put the headings at the left, everything looks
left-aligned too much. Any ideas on this?

How about putting them aligned left, but then putting a cm or two of
left margin so they don't look quite aligned?

Andrew Cameron

William Tasso said:
When faced with the issue of 'not enough text' I resign myself to the fact
that I just didn't put in enough effort first time and mark it for more
research and update. YMMV

Sometimes you can say all that needs to be said in a few sentences;
sometimes you need fifty pages to explain the smallest thing. There's no
point in making people read more than they need to, just because you need to
fill space.

William Tasso

Andrew said:
Sometimes you can say all that needs to be said in a few sentences;
sometimes you need fifty pages to explain the smallest thing.
agreed

There's no point in making people read more than they need to, just
because you need to fill space.

certainly, but if you only have a few words to say then perhaps it's best to
group it with other similar items. each case depends on circumstance.

Andrew Cameron

William Tasso said:
certainly, but if you only have a few words to say then perhaps it's best to
group it with other similar items. each case depends on circumstance.

In the case of my front page, until I get more content I don't think there
are any other items that I could group onto that page. I think I'm going to
have to just deal with it until the site gets bigger.

Seth Honeywell

Or perhaps it's best to say nothing at all. Not sure why every tom dick
and harry needs a web site anyway, just a waste of bandwidth IMO.