    Or could you suggest another xml binding lib?

    Cheers!

    Xin Zhao

    zxem, Nov 16, 2007

  2. Re: xampl project - Is it still alive [Yes! It is!]

    Hi,

    On 16-Nov-07, at 5:35 AM, zxem wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I trying to use a Ruby XML binding tool. XAMPLE seems the only
    > choice.
    >
    > The last update for this project http://rubyforge.org/projects/xampl/
    > is at Nov, 2005. Is this project dead?

    No it isn't, though I can understand how you might get that
    impression :) I haven't been exactly evangelising it.

    BTW, I'm the guy that wrote it.

    There are a few people using it, not many.

    The documentation is rudimentary, mostly a walk-through tutorial,
    though that's been enough to get people going and keep them going --
    it would probably help if you knew Ruby reasonably well, especially
    what monkey-patching is and how modules can be used to approximate
    multiple inheritance. There are a bunch of postings on my weblog (link
    below, not the tumblelog) -- there is a category for them. I'm going
    to have to re-format them at some point, maybe I should do that today.

    I've used it as a replacement for ActiveRecord, in several Rails and
    Merb products, and a lot of utilities that I use every day. I'm able
    to whip off a fairly complex program in Ruby very quickly. There is
    also a Java version that is being used in a number of systems. There's
    even a Common Lisp version that I'm overhauling right now.

    There is a bit of history to xampl. It started as a Java project for
    me to learn how to use a SAX parser, this was a couple of days after
    James Clark's parser came out for Java -- maybe 10 years ago. It has
    grown through several stages starting with a re-formatter for XML,
    through to one of the first XML binding tools. It doesn't take the
    same point of view as any of the other binding tools that I know of.
    For two *big* reasons: it does not use a schema; it has definite
    opinions about how you should be designing your XML. There are big
    implications to this, some of which I'm just recently understanding...
    maybe a blog post is in order.

    If you have any questions about it, I'll be happy to answer them.
    Perhaps I should release another version of xampl, it has come along
    quite nicely since that release.

    Cheers,
    Bob

    ----